Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Custom intake question

LETZRIDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Camaro
Yea that'd be the total max size eh..
That's a cool set up and would give nice air distribution, how much better than the twins in not sure but your right it'd work nicely:)

Question is who makes it and how do the throttle linkages work?? I can't see any? Got a top down picture?
Other thing is, is how is it set up? You couldn't tune it as a itb setup as, well, it's not and you could have a "secondary tb" on delay like the twins..
So how are they set up? If they all just ran open you'd have to retard your timing so far it'd be pointless?

not total max size, like (3) 55mm throttle bodies...if my math is correct, that will give you an area of about 22,368mm

If you went with a bigger single 65mm throttle body your total area would be 10,414.2025mm. But air is going to flow alot slower through that bigger tb.

I dont have any other shots of that unit, nor do I know who makes that one, or how it works...was just a picture I found and snagged as I am still toying with my own plans on what to do for the top plenum.

I dont believe these tbs have linkages either, I think that it is one of those slide throttles, so the butterflies will slide open sideways inside that back rail, this would make it so that there is no obstruction in the airway at all at WOT. (I could be wrong though)

I wasn't aware that your dual tb setups had delays on them? I thought you would just need way less throttle to get moving?

That kinda puts a damper on things.

Aw damn, Mike and Dane? Looks like a good ol' American V6 gang up in this Aussie board.

well Canadian/American gang up :beer chug:

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Not all our twins have a delay but they work better when they do.. Ideally on idle one is totally closed then once you get to say 2k the second begins opening. That way you don't have to retard your timing and max out your idle motor so much ... Ultimately a direct link can hurt power. But still is way better than stock manifold.

Id be very keen to see that manifold in better detail and test results.. I'm sold on the looks just not on how well it'd work in the real world.. My concerns are tuning, timing and airspeed.

LETZRIDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Camaro
my main concern is tuning as well...You need a MAF to get a reading for timing and see where you are getting KR, and it would be difficult to run a maf unless you did one on a collector tube that fed into the 3 throttlebodies, but I think that restricts how much air you can get into the motor quickly in my opinion as your tube essentially becomes a manifold within itself.

Airspeed would be great because of the smaller th's.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The COME twin TB manifold for the ecotecs have 55mm butterflies I believe.

Kalmaker have developed MAP based tunes for ecotecs which work really well, especially if you have multiple TB and don't want to run them all through a single MAF (really defeats the point of having multiple TB's).

LETZRIDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Camaro
see, my map based tune works fine the my huge cam and modded heads car atm, but Im tricking the system, skimpish is running the same tune that I have, but modified to his motor (atleast he was)...for us, the VE is maxed out at 200% at WOT and we need to "cheat to attain our tuning goals) I dont know how much "give" we have to this system we're running though....I'd be interested to see that program you speak of, especially since as soon as you take the MAF out of the equation, we have no way of seeing where the KR is in relative to our rpm and load...so we can't "fine tune" our setup for the maximum efficiency (unless one of you knows a mathimatical equation that I can create a custom perameter to this system.

twin 55's still flows more than an upgraded 65mm tb, so that's no issue.

Personally I was looking at designing an ITB setup (not to steal this thread) its the tunning that has every one of my thoughts on hold to be honest.

Tunning mucks everything up, I have ideas beyond belief and a machine shop more or less at my disposal through a friend...but Im not going to make 40000000 pieces for the sake of making things to "see" if they work when I know tuning wont cooperate (as I do need to compensate him still, be it money or drinks at the bar, it's still expensive lol)

our v6's (american wise) have very little tune support and its like pulling teeth with no anestetic to get information on stuff for us on the boards as not many people have gone past the MAF tune aspect of things. So as old as these motors are, we're kind of on a stepping stone of something new here...

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
firstly, all those intakes look very interesting.
*drools at same time*

just out of curiosity.
how would a twin tb compare to say a single tb.
and then how would that triple tb compare? (and would you pipe the intake, or leave as 3 open tbs in bay?)

i doubt i would ever get one (imagine policeman asking to pop the bonnet while you're on p plates =P)
but id love to know they would compare in gains and so forth.

and its great to hear from people across the world =P

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Letzride, you need to contact kalmaker mate...
My car was the twin tb as shown earlier in here and ran a kalmaker mafless tune via a map sensor and it was bang on accurate:) no timing worries or afr issues. I had a GREAT tuner but still the kalmaker software lets you get rid of the maf no worries.

So if u can get that software I see no reason why u can't get your itb set up tuned easy enough..

Also the air speed of twin 55mm will be different to that of three 55mms..

Drawn tite, I had cops pop my bonnet when it looked like this..

13c35e4c.jpg

The pods were "safely secured" and the car wasn't illegally loud so I got let off with a few dubious questions and a "don't let me see any hoon driving or your toast" speech.
Aslong as my car passed emissions (never tried but it should have with the right tune) and I didn't have the ultra low springs in it I was all legal:)

Also twins are DEFINATELY better than a single tb but none of us have seen the triple used...?
I myself aren't sold there necessary or would help much over the twins but the look sexy!

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
firstly, all those intakes look very interesting.
*drools at same time*

just out of curiosity.
how would a twin tb compare to say a single tb.
and then how would that triple tb compare? (and would you pipe the intake, or leave as 3 open tbs in bay?)

i doubt i would ever get one (imagine policeman asking to pop the bonnet while you're on p plates =P)
but id love to know they would compare in gains and so forth.

and its great to hear from people across the world =P

All i can say is a single TB with pump most of the air into runners 3 and 4. With a twin TB, say like MRC itll even out the flow. Come racing twin TB has twin 55mm but the plenum is also double the volume as stock. Never seen inside one, but you can tell it is like putting the 25mm mace spacer in, without using a spacer.

Also AJ, where did you get your rad shroud cover from? It makes it look neat and tidy without the L67 OTR which ill be ditching for the mace CAI. Also i have a VS not a VT, so i dare say some slight mods will be required.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Your very right about evening out the airflow. I mentioned that earlier in the thread.. The Mrc item fixes that, I'm not sure but from what I've seen i'm not sure the come one would? The two tbs still are very central..?

My rad cover is a gen3 item, for you hit up BYE PERFOMANCE they make a sweet radiator shroud for vs's:)

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Your very right about evening out the airflow. I mentioned that earlier in the thread.. The Mrc item fixes that, I'm not sure but from what I've seen i'm not sure the come one would? The two tbs still are very central..?

My rad cover is a gen3 item, for you hit up BYE PERFOMANCE they make a sweet radiator shroud for vs's:)

Thanks man, ill check them out.