Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Custom intake question

Irukanji

101% Lunacy
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Exec LS1 A4
Pretty sure it's to do with how the tbs are set up, not truly air right on idle? U could tweak it so it'd run just no where near potential.
I'm speaking from experience and what my tuner has told me so I'm not claiming gospel..
As said you can run a twin tb on stock tune but with theses more "creative" ideas I can't see how it would work reliably. Key word is reliable.

Also your timing needs adjusting often with the v6s when toying with manifolds, hence the tune etc.

lol "Creative". The idea I posted above would run on a stock front intake just like on the V8's, using the stock MAF and stock TB. A much larger TB would be extremely beneficial, as would a larger MAF, but then you'd need to retune to suit them. But the water pump isn't smart, so that isn't a problem, and the radiator isn't either, so they aren't factored into the computer...as long as the engine is cool it is happy. But then the problem is a high flow radiator and a pump and fans which will cool it to the same or better than the stock radiator. And a shorter radiator xD. Next time I'm at pick-a-part(read: soon), I'll see if there is one in an asian V6 car which is shorter and wider than the stock VT Commodore and report back. Of course you'd need modified mounting brackets, etc.

LETZRIDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Camaro
I hate to burst anyones bubble and sound like a dick, but no way are you going to get an ITB setup to run on a stock tune...the LS1's over here that have these setups see 60rwhp OVER the fast 90 intakes...you would be retardedly lean on a stock tune.

And those tbs could be for either or, quad or itb setup lol...they have been originally planned and built around my original itb ideas lol.

Remember with an itb style setup that is the most air you can get into your motor without going FI

Irukanji

101% Lunacy
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Exec LS1 A4
Just saw on idea which skipped my mind...

What if the stock radiator was mounted on an angle(there would be just enough clearance below the lowest pulley) to keep the stock radiator. However the fans would be blowing the hot air up towards where the MAF/TB would be...I guess the hottest the air would be is 100-120C, so some form of heat shield would suffice. It'd need some redesigned brackets and I doubt they make stock radiator hoses for it :) but it'd do the job without having to replace the water pump or radiator or anything like that, whilst still giving the clearance required for a meaningful scoop.

What are the legalities of using pins to hold the bonnet shut, as opposed to the standard latch? Because if we could cut that piece of metal out, it would make the job a bit easier to deal with.

Last edited:

LETZRIDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Camaro
I'm not understanding where the radiator is coming into play here? The computer cools the car based on the ect readings at temperature (A) it will kick on fan #1, at temp (B) it will kick on fan #2...your water pump is belt driven or electric if you've upgraded like I have...this means your always pumping the coolant through the motor anytime the car is on...not sure what you are trying to say?

If you are talking in relative to changing your hood, do you guys have a reverse cowl hood? That probably makes things the easiest?

Irukanji

101% Lunacy
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Exec LS1 A4
I'm not understanding where the radiator is coming into play here? The computer cools the car based on the ect readings at temperature (A) it will kick on fan #1, at temp (B) it will kick on fan #2...your water pump is belt driven or electric if you've upgraded like I have...this means your always pumping the coolant through the motor anytime the car is on...not sure what you are trying to say?

If you are talking in relative to changing your hood, do you guys have a reverse cowl hood? That probably makes things the easiest?

If you read the post I made on page 4 if will make a bit more sense, the idea being is for an OTR, but instead of being some giant thing with a small opening, it will be a giant thing with a giant opening, forcing air through the MAF and TB(assuming the maf is used)...but at present the radiator is blocking the most ideal position for a scoop being 100-150mm high and whatever wide, before being distributed by a plenum of sorts(still to be designed, but it will permit air to enter from the front as opposed to the side)...

Hope that clears things up.

I was pretty tired when I posted it, so it probably made perfect sense to me but confused everybody else lol.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
I hate to burst anyones bubble and sound like a dick, but no way are you going to get an ITB setup to run on a stock tune...the LS1's over here that have these setups see 60rwhp OVER the fast 90 intakes...you would be retardedly lean on a stock tune.

And those tbs could be for either or, quad or itb setup lol...they have been originally planned and built around my original itb ideas lol.

Remember with an itb style setup that is the most air you can get into your motor without going FI

Thankyou... Afrs will be off therefor timing etc.

These manifolds are not for stock tune.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
lol "Creative". The idea I posted above would run on a stock front intake just like on the V8's, using the stock MAF and stock TB. A much larger TB would be extremely beneficial, as would a larger MAF, but then you'd need to retune to suit them. But the water pump isn't smart, so that isn't a problem, and the radiator isn't either, so they aren't factored into the computer...as long as the engine is cool it is happy. But then the problem is a high flow radiator and a pump and fans which will cool it to the same or better than the stock radiator. And a shorter radiator xD. Next time I'm at pick-a-part(read: soon), I'll see if there is one in an asian V6 car which is shorter and wider than the stock VT Commodore and report back. Of course you'd need modified mounting brackets, etc.

I hadn't read your post at the time I made that statement. I was referring to itb/quad tb setups.

I'm not convinced its worth screwing your cooling system either..
And bonnet pins to my knowledge are a no no.

Still itd ram air down the throat nicely:)

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
my bubble has been burst :bomb: lol

I'm still keen to try and make one in the future only problem being getting the tuning done

Irukanji

101% Lunacy
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Exec LS1 A4
I'm not convinced its worth screwing your cooling system either..
And bonnet pins to my knowledge are a no no.

It wouldn't be "screwing", since you'll simply be replacing the stock radiator with a smaller radiator with the same cooling capacity. And yeah I figured bonnet pins would be a no-no but it was worth an ask lol.

It'd be one hell of a scoop for a stock car(once you work around a few problems), if it fed a turbo then as you went faster the extra exhaust gases and the force of the air being funnelled into it would result in some very dense air...but then you have the problem of too much air...unless the motor was built to withstand, say, 50PSI of boost, and the turbo didn't disintegrate...

The air speed would be more or less equal to the speed of your car, and if you've ever stuck your hand out the window at 100km/h or more, you'll know what sort of force is there...front mounted TB on a V6 plenum(as opposed to the side), but then you need a way to get the air to the back cylinders(driving faster would help), so it could be routed over the top to enter going straight down, but then the middle 2 would get too much oxygen whilst the end ones get insufficient oxygen for the amount of fuel injected, so it'd need a plate to deflect the air to ensure a more uniform distribution....

Anyway I've been awake all night, so I'll draw a picture of wtf I mean later :)

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Screwing was in reference to putting the current radiator on an angle and turning the thermos into a hot air supply..
Smaller radiator is a find idea though.

As for the front mount tb pro flow make a manifold that has all the internals to ensure air distribution from my understanding.