Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cutting out the stock stereo

Balex

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Omega Wagon
So this is a weird thing I’m thinking of trying on my 2008 VE, is it at all possible to cut out the old stereo/cd drive area to put in an after market stereo and keep the physical climate control knobs? Does anyone know the, I guess “safe” parts that can be cut from the actual radio box while keeping functionality of the physical knobs and possibly the time/date module above it?

All the aftermarket modules remove the physical knobs for digital ones and I don’t want that, but figured it might mean this isn’t possible, thanks :)

Attachments

• IMG_0293.jpeg
    IMG_0293.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0294.jpeg
    IMG_0294.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 51

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
It's not possible, it's all one integrated unit, the HVAC controls run though the head unit they aren't two separate modules so you can't simply cut one piece of it out.

You'll need to get a full aftermarket replacement to suit.

Welcome to the world of CANBUS where everything in the car is interconnected.

Balex

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Omega Wagon
It's not possible, it's all one integrated unit, the HVAC controls run though the head unit they aren't two separate modules so you can't simply cut one piece of it out.

You'll need to get a full aftermarket replacement to suit.

Welcome to the world of CANBUS where everything in the car is interconnected.
i thought that might be the case, dang, well fair enough, thanks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep, as above, new double din, patch harnesses and install kit required as a minimum.

Reaction score
Members Ride
holdens
my dual zone aerpro controller has knobs and has been workin well since the demise of my alpine perfect fit a few years back
not cheap but it all works
the price should be around 400 the usb outlet on the front can be used by a standalone charging unit if you dont connect it to the usb on your headunit but the usb plug itself doesnt look that great for high output charging honestly its cheaper an not to hard to add a charger yourself if you want with usb c