Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cutting y piece to fit extractors

Brodie. 97

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 commodore
Hey guys,

Trying to fit a set of hurricane extractors to my vs v6. Well the extractors are on just connecting y pipe/piece to them. I know gotta cut the y pipe/piece and weld the flanges on to be able to fit them.
Wondering how I go about that ? Already cut it just past the o2sensors to try line it up to fit but don't line up properly, makes the distance just doesn't line up.
Do I cut it back more ? Or ?
First time trying to do them myself (with a mate)

Cheers lads

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Not sure what you're talking about tbh.

Most aftermarket extractors when bought new can get y piece that goes from extractors to factory cat.

No idea why you cut anything either...not sure about v6 but on v8s can fit passenger from top or bottom but most commodores drivers side is from underneath either drop rack out or move to side if lucky.

Do remember pulling vp v6 manual apart out looking at how tight genies were tucked in it would be horrid job to fit on jackstands...auto would've been way easier.

CAn only guess done something arse about or wrong y pipe/extractors...fark knows lol

Brodie. 97

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 commodore
Yeah right, everything I've read on previous post and stuff they've all cut their y pipe to fit the extractors. Even pacemakers have a installing guide and says have to cut y pipe ? Weird how don't know what I'm talking bout then?

I screen shot other post comments and the pacemaker guide

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220106-091119_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220106-091119_Samsung Internet.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_20220106-091108_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220106-091108_Samsung Internet.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot_20220106-090952_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220106-090952_Samsung Internet.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot_20220103-124211_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220103-124211_Drive.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 135

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I've only seen older type of catbacks...that shite must be later model 98-99 if got that cat setup...might be different if getrage or round auto bellhousing

What don't you get about those instructions? Why cut flanges on extractors?

Only pipes to cut supposedly v6 getrag,turn & weld up.

(Pic2) One part says bolt section to exhaust raise it up to extractors to mark where excess needs to be cut then use slip joint...may be easier cutting support bar in middle to line up easier.

Pacemaker instructions give measurements of end bracket where to cut pipe..dummy fit it up & weld supplied flanges.

Last edited:

Brodie. 97

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 commodore
Vs v6 97 mate.

My extractors are hurricane not pacemakers so not as long.
Just don't get cutting it that far back, seems like a lot. To me seems the y pipe would be to short afterwards.

I cut the y pipe just after o2 sensors because extractors have them on them. Went to dummy fit and The length of the y pipe is long enough to sit with extractors but don't line up.

I'll just have to give it another crack I guess aha

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Dummy it all up so you know where to cut then weld flange on or go to slip joint setup....otherwise drive it to exhaust shop if still confused.

Basically what an exhaust joint would do is mock it up cut where needed & weld flanges.

Brodie. 97

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 commodore
Yeah I'll have another crack at it.

Reckon it'd cost abit taking to shop and getting them to do it ?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Very little labour or material...most of my locals are ripoffs yet if I pop in some earplugs & go to customisd place 10kms he charges 1/4 the price even though expect him to be most expensive lol

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If I am reading this right, the exhaust pipe is long enough where the cut is made, but the pipe isn't a straight forward fit up to the extractors...

If this is the case, it'll be best to go to an exhaust shop, so they can bend some pipe that goes inbetween your extractors and exhaust pipe, as it does sound like you're extractors are either closer to the gearbox or chassis rail, when compared to your exhaust system...