Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CV8Z Head Unit Change

Darren Dazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8Z
I am looking to upgrade my Monaro CV8Z Blaupunkt head unit.
I realise I will probably lose the 6 stacker CD function.
I have been looking at Sony XAV-AX5500 or 6000.
Has anyone any recommendations to either or any other Alpine, Kenwood etc unit that ticks the boxes.
Not looking to shake the windows out with amp/woofer etc just to have good sounds, maps, Bluetooth, digital, USB etc.
Are original speakers good enough for better quality sounds with new head unit alone.

Is it easy to plug and play fit yourself with wiring adaptors and facia panel.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I have two Crewman’s with Alpine CarPlay headunits. Each have JBL GTO609c’s. No amp. More than does the job.
CDs are like having a Gramophone.

You’ll have Google maps and Android Apple functionality. Play songs and what ever radio station via CarPlay or Android Auto.

Get the adaptor harnesses. It’s all plug and play. Super easy job.

Speakers will be best to have new wiring run though. The factory stuff is a bit average and there will be tweeters to add in. You don’t have to but it’s a good idea. Tweeter wiring is already there is you want to use it.

Reactions: Lex

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Similar, except its a VZ.
Have the Kenwood DDX9019DABS, so has all the bells and whistles along with the ability to still put in CDs.
Has 2x USB connections which is good for multiple devices.
Most are similar, it all depends on what you want and the price range you have.

Only recommendation i have is, run the USB Cables into the Centre Console box.
It tucks away everything nicely and is a good spot for your phone to go, so its available when you get out of the car, but its not in your vision as a temptation.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I did that too. Everything just tucks away in there nicely.

Was thinking of adding a quad lock charger on the side of the console and the quad lock wireless Apple CarPlay/Android dongle.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
If I use Android Auto its permanently connected up via the USB Lead.

I'm just picky about not drilling into and damaging anything, thus the centre bit just worked out really nicely. the 1m usb leads basically just get there, so you want to leave the USB A to USB C lead plugged into otherwise itll drop back behind everything.

If it were me now, I'd probably not worry about the CD side of things, it was more of a "I have so many of these so I want to have the ability to play them". But with them all on the Ipod its kind of a Null point.
If you get a non CD one itll likely be alot thinner too, so more room for all the wiring behind.
But as Fu has said, Plug and play everything is the way to go. No soldering required.

Except maybe for a speed sensor or maybe a reverse wire.
Reverse Cam is another handy bit about the Bigger screen units. May aswell install that as you go too.
If you do add in the speed sensor just be wary of the right wires. If its anything like the VZ they used the same colour for an O2 sensor as the VSS, which caused a massive headache in fault finding.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The back of my car would look like a Camry if it weren’t for the reverse camera. One of the best things I’ve added.

I’m thinking of adding a Birds Eye view set up. Would be a cool project.

I’ll get a photo of my centre console. It sounds much like @Drawnnite s console.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Similarly, I have one USB plugged into mine full time which resides in the glovebox with a couple of thousand songs which is my normal go to. But my second USB port has a 1m USB which comes out in the centre console, and is my android auto plug for when I need it. Came out looking fairly factory without really having to cut much. Only thing I've found is for my phone to fit in plugged in it has to sit in there diagionally, that said I think a lot of units support wireless AA now too.

u4e53Pj.jpg

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pretty much the same.
IMG_5593.jpeg

Always carry a small amount of explosives with you.