Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DAKSTERS VS Berlina

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Dakster

I'm not a fan of body kits on VN to VS models, but the work you have put into this is impressive. What are your plans for final colour and wheels?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
I've decided on the paint. Its going to be an acrylic pearl, and will look similar to this randomly googled unidentified object.

dakster-albums-stuff-picture120569-green-pearl.jpg

My white is much whiter, and the pearl will be an emerald green, but much less of it than the green on that object.

^^^ probably this...

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
looks like you have been a busy man! Slightly off topic - do you still have the original bonnet and front bar by any chance or did they get left interstate or whatever? I am looking for some straight panels to respray if you decide to flog them off!

How tough is the fibreglass? Can it be a fatal exercise if bottoming out or is the quality pretty durable?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
^^^ probably this...

Yeah, thanks for the reminder. Read that previously then forgot all about it.Would like to know what Dakster has planned for wheels though. The old originals do nothing for the car.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
looks like you have been a busy man! Slightly off topic - do you still have the original bonnet and front bar by any chance or did they get left interstate or whatever? I am looking for some straight panels to respray if you decide to flog them off!

How tough is the fibreglass? Can it be a fatal exercise if bottoming out or is the quality pretty durable?

Don't have the original panels, sorry. Wasn't practical to bring them with me. I do have the original lights though, genuine Berlina ones front and rear, if anyone wants them.
I spend some time on the family farm ( we have a few thousand acres about 20km from my place ) and we have farm roads on it of course. I bottom out a lot, this car won't be going out there after the paint is finished lol.
I was originally getting a lot of damage every time I bottomed out, and of course hitting a roo or a fox could be disastrous. I blame a lot of that on the poor, paper thin fibreglass that the kit was made of, the whole thing would shatter every time you hit a grasshopper.
After I made repairs the last time I hit a fox, I added a few kilos of glass and resin to the front bar, just made it thicker and heavier. Now, when I bottom out, its just a bit of gravel rash, there is no major damage at all. I actually believe it would survive a fox hitting it now, though a roo would still destroy it of course.

Last edited:

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
I have seen roo's write of Utes with massive bull bars. No amount of fiberglass will help you I don't think. Even the roo whistlers are crap. So glad i'm not in the country any more. No more stressing when driving at night waiting for the suicidal roo or disgruntled cow.

As said above, whats the plans for the rims?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Dakster

I'm not a fan of body kits on VN to VS models, but the work you have put into this is impressive. What are your plans for final colour and wheels?

Thanks :) I agree some kits look like crap, but I think the combo I have put together will look pretty damn good. It wont satisfy the purist ( OMG you have put a 97 model part on a 96 model you have destroyed the car!! ) but it will satisfy me and that's all I give a damn about!

I picked up some secondhand wheels for it but I don't think I will be using them, they have just a little too much gutter rash. The plan is just for some generic five spokes, in a nice chrome finish, probably 18".

The colour will be a thin emerald green fleck in acrylic white pearl.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I have seen roo's write of Utes with massive bull bars. No amount of fiberglass will help you I don't think. Even the roo whistlers are crap. So glad i'm not in the country any more. No more stressing when driving at night waiting for the suicidal roo or disgruntled cow.

As said above, whats the plans for the rims?

5 spoke 18" chrome, no idea what brand yet.

All you can do about roos is slow down and make sure your lights are as good as they can be. I'm trying :)

Fibreglass wouldn't have survived this.. my Fairmont hitting a 6 footer at just 60kmh.. but doesn't matter what the nose was made of, it still would have been a royal pain in the butt replacing the panels, the radiator support, the radiator, etc.. and the airbag of course, which deployed and hurt like a womans scorn.

dakster-albums-stuff-picture121117-roo1.jpg

dakster-albums-stuff-picture121118-roo2.jpg

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
It wont satisfy the purist

i dont much like the kit either, however i am really impressed with your work, and thats the main thing really. if you were to just drop this off to a panel shop i wouldnt give it the time of day, but personal creations are really interesting to me. kinda like paintings, or writing a song. you dont have to love it, just respect the love/attention that has gone into it.

so yeah, keep the updates comin' :)

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Could be worse lol... shame the cannon didn't show up on the crappy iphone pic, i think i could fit a leg in there lol it looked like at least 6 inches diameter..

****Photo of Lancer with huge cannon used to be here, i removed it to make space****

Last edited: