Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dash lighting very dull

93BRCK

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Executive
Hey there, I have a 1985 VK executive and just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with trying to read the dash at night? The lights seem to do nothing at all. Would replacing the globes with some higher wattage ones be any better or would that run the risk of them getting too hot and causing damage?

Cheers.

93BRCK

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Executive
Thanks for that link, sure has gave me a fair bit of info on it!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
its caused by a bad earth / join at one of the bulk connectors other symptoms are the heater fan increases revs when the revs come up a little (alternator voltage hits 13 volts) the wiring looms holden used are **** I was looking at mine the otherday pretty much every connector has 1 or 2 wires chopped out and crimp linked,

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
instruments prior to VL weren't back lit, so they will never be as good as post VL onward model
The markings on the instruments when new were reflective, so when the instrument lights were on, they reflected the light and worked reasonably well

20-30 years later the effectiveness of the reflective markings are all but non-existent, so the effectiveness of the dash lights is greatly reduced.
I had the same problem with the VH. I replaced the main wiring harness connecter, by passed the dimmer switch and checked the voltage at the dash lights and it was getting full battery power, but still they were dull. I replaced all the light bulbs, still not much better.

So I replaced all the light bulbs with the T5 wedge LED's on this site 12v LED Dashboard and Instrument bulbs. They have 3 surface mounted LED's and are actually very effective in brightening up the instruments with a much brighter white light instead of a dull yellow light. The dash lights are quite good now, still doesn't compare to modern back lit instruments, but you will never achieve that unless you somehow managed to get the instrument facias re-manufactured to suit back lighting.

The VK I believe uses the larger T10 lights, which the website above also stocks

93BRCK

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Executive
Thanks for the info Darren_L, I'll pull the dash out and get my hands on some new bulbs I guess.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

grantius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
I use a GPS for my speedo all the time as my speedo reports too low a speed and I keep getting tickets.

It's funny, the lights for the defroster and the electric antenna light up really brightly but not the speedo or tach at all, and a very weak light under the fuel/oil/temp/volt gauges.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
I bypassed the dimmer switch and there was some improvement. Best thing is to run a new wire from the battery, via a relay. If you haven't already, do it for you headlights, high and low beam. The difference was incredible when I did it.

VHFAN83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL
Are the ones you bought for your vh the ones aka 286? If so, how many do you need to replace whole cluster? Cheers.