Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dash Wiper Switch VN

JoshSvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan - The Beige Bandit!
Okay all of a sudden my intermittent wipers are not working ( Dash Switch ), all the other speeds work though, i've picked the switch apart and all the copper contacts are working as they should, i think the fault could be in the board itself, has anyone successfully repaired these switches? I would rather repair it than replace it if i can.

Thanks Josh

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
On a VP (which may be slightly different?), yes. What I found was a dry solder joint which was fixed by resoldering.

JetJackson

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Exectutive Wagon
If you have the board out of the binnacle, check the capacitors. They're the small cans on the board. They could be leaking, or as Cheap6 has pointed out, there may be some dry or cracked solder joints.
While the board is out, you could always just touch over the solder joints with a hot (19-25 watt) soldering iron and some light resin core solder. Don't add too much solder, you only want to wet the joints again.

JoshSvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fixed, found one dry solder joint, a quick touch with the soldering iron and its all good, thanks fellas!

Azwellaz

Kickin' it ole skool
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT SS 5.0
Fixed, found one dry solder joint, a quick touch with the soldering iron and its all good, thanks fellas!

Mine has just started doing the same thing, sounds easy enough to repair it rather than buy another one, i may give it a go, thanks!

JoshSvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
really easy to repair i should of done a write up