Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Deaccelaration idle issue - 355 VP auto

vp_exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ser2 BT1 355, 3800 conv, 3.45 IRS
Boys I have a gremlin with my injected 355 VP.

I get no engine light.
Upon deaccelaration off throttle the tacho drops below 1000rpm, when I slow to say 30kmh the dash lights flicker - she wants to stall. Upon stopping (having used both pedals to keep it alive) idle resumes as normal.

Have swapped tbodies, cleaned IAC and TPS, new plugs, reset ECU by battery disconnect etc..no better.

I admit very infrequently I lose a speedo reading.
Also it infrequently surges the tacho reading up and down, upon 100% deaccelaration, say around 100kmh (whilst lockup conv) so maybe VSS?

I have avoided the tbody idle screw as a last resort but have had a suggestion to do this, and a procedure outlining exactly how do this properly. Should I, or do u have another idea?

Fire away...

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
the ECM needs a speed sensor input in order to determine IAC position. When my speed sensor spat the dummy, I had to keep tapping the throttle when I stopped at intersections etc until the idle settled or it would stall. As soon as I replaced the speed sensor, problem was gone.
If your speedo is dropping out intermittently then that's the first thing I'd be sorting out.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
speedo problem 'could be' the little gear in the dash. could also be a speed sensor fault?

The return to idle can be adjusted in the tune up with the IAC steps. I had that issue with my cammed VS. The car had to be fine tuned both hot and cold to ensure it was spot on and didnt hunt or stall

A tad of fine tuning with the throttle screw wont do any harm, i did it on mine. the return to idle wasnt quite perfect and i cbf taking it back to the tuner to just did a quarter turn on the tb screw... fixed

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I've only ever used genuine speed sensors, but if there are aftermarket sensors available, they might be worth a try because the genuine ones aren't cheap.

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
There is an issue with speedo that is related to reversing light not working, I had this a while back and did speed sensor etc first... Check your fuse, if it's not blown then discount reversing light issue. (if it is then check trailer plug loom)

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
VN-VP still use a gearbox mounted speed sensor. However the speed sensor output goes via the speedo circuitry which includes a divide x5 circuit. It then outputs the modified signal to the ECM. VR speed sensor output goes direct to ECM (and speedo)

So in a nutshell, VN-VR all use a gearbox mounted speed sensor. And I'm fairly sure they all use the same sensor. Just check which sensor applies to your model when you order it. It could be a problem in your speedo circuit, which means the speed sensor signal isn't making to the ECM intermittently, but unlikely. Speed sensors usually are the culprit. Also make sure the plastic drive pin from the speed sensor adapter (gearbox end) isn't twisted or broken.