Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deactivating AFM

Quicksilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I've recently had a cat back put in my SSV with AFM. Sounds awesome up until the point where AFM kicks in and then it is the worst thing I have ever heard. I've decided the AFM has to go or I won't be able to stand driving my car.

I've read around the forum but haven't been able to find info about the actual process of deactivating AFM.

Can anyone tell me what exactly is involved in getting the AFM deactivated? Is it simply flicking a switch or is it massive engine work? Does it require a tune also? I called my local tuning shop and they told me I needed to get MAFLESS tune to have it deactivated. Is this true? If so what does this do to the new car warranty. I'd love to hear from anyone who has had this done and how much it cost you.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I'm pretty sure it's all done (switched off) via a tune, and no mechanical work is involved.

I'm also pretty sure you can get it disabled with a MAF tune (you don't need to go MAFLESS).

I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm..

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
You don't even need to get a tune. Go to anyone with either EFILive or HP Tuners and ask them to turn the AFM mode off in the ECM then reflash your standard tune back. It should only cost you a fraction of the price for a full tune. Unless your wanting a tune done on the engine...

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
Or drive in manual mode and afm will not activate till u can get it removed in a tune

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Any performance shop will turn it off for you, won't take them long at all! It's a good excuse for more mods and tune though ;)

Quicksilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Thanks for the info guys. Don't really have the cash for a full tune at the moment. The dude at the local tuning shop was trying to tell me that i had to go MAFless or it was impossible to turn off. I guess I'll go elsewhere. Also the driving in manual mode doesn't work. It still switches to AFM.

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
That's strange mine is stock and afm turns of in manual mode

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
Just noticed ur in Perth I would speak to thunder preformance or pro auto about turning off the afm

Quicksilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Contacted Pro Auto. They can do it for a very reasonable price without tune or anything. Thanks for the tip mate :)

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS Thunder Ute
Anything over $100 is a complete rip off