Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dealer recommends "Induction Service" and "Carbon Clean" @45000km ?

Camacho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6 Commodore Series 2 Sedan
Hey Folks,

my 2012 SV6 Commodore had 45000km service done today.

dealer said he recommends "Induction Service" and "Carbon Clean" (talked about throttle body carbon buildup)

Questions:

1)
Induction Service 135$, Carbon Clean $285 ??? WTH.... from what I understand one uses a rag with TB cleaner and cleans it ! They are trying to upsell me because I have capped price logbook service here, right?
He said I might have issues with higher fuel consumption and response. pfff... Runs nicely, no problems, fuel consumption 10,4l/100 with quite some city stop/start and aircon on...

Please tell me I should refrain from that !

2) Can I give the engine (3.6l SIDI) one of those Liqui Moli Fuel System Cleaner things without danger? ( http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...ui-moly-fuel-system-cleaner-engine-detox.html ). Will be on a 500km nonstopdrive on saturday, so that might be a good opportunity for that?

Thanks for your thoughts guys !

VTSS304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Manual
Did they describe it as an upper engine/carbon clean or a throttle body clean?
The upper engine clean is a different chemical that gets sprayed into the manifold to clean any carbon build up on the back of the valves and top of the pistons which a known issue for the Alloytec engines. But its certainly not worth $285, you could get a can of upper engine cleaner yourself for about $50, spray it into the intake while the engine is running and then turn it off and let it sit for a while ~20 minutes, then start it (it will be hard to start and will blow a lot of smoke for a little while) then you have saved yourself a lot of cash.
The throttle body clean is exactly as you described. But a good quality can for about $30 and spend 15 minutes doing it yourself, saved lots of money.
You shouldn't have any issues running either of those products in your car, just make sure you follow the instructions on the can and all will be good.

As for him saying higher fuel consumption etc, if it makes any difference at all i doubt you'd ever be able to tell. you might save .02l/100km and thats in a particularly bad instance.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I wouldnt bother with it if your car doesnt feel like it needs it.

Camacho

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did they describe it as an upper engine/carbon clean or a throttle body clean?

He was talking about the throttle body and the "butterfly", I assume that is the moving part in the throttle?!
Did not specifically talk about the "upper body".

The throttle body clean is exactly as you described. But a good quality can for about $30 and spend 15 minutes doing it yourself, saved lots of money.

I agree. Highly appreciate your thoughts, mate!

do you know if i would have to be ultra careful moving the inner piece (butterfly?) because it is "by-wire" when cleaning or something, don't wanna mess up sth.

Remember someone mentioning to be careful with the spray stuff and the electronic components! (inside the throttle body? Never opened myself)

Cheers mate

Camacho

Camacho

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers buddy,

Appreciate your input... Will give the throttle body a clean when i got some time over the WE. And i will probably run one of those Fuel system cleaner bottles during the longdistance drive on saturday.

Thanks buddy

Camacho

Camacho

Reaction score
Members Ride
Your car shouldn't need either of those at 45,000km, one word - upsell

Thanks for your time 2 comment mate, highly appreciated !

Camacho

Camacho

Reaction score
Members Ride
Doublepost, sry

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
He would be saying that due to the sidi tendency to have alleged carbon build up in some cars... combined with the fact its almost Chrissy and he wants a big bonus this year!