Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Death of HD-DVD

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
as much as i want to stay out of this debate, i have to correct you. granted there arent many movies, except maybe the lord of the rings, that would fill a disc, what about tv series? instead of buying a boxset that contains 6 dvds, have them on one bluray disc at 1080p. id love having just a few bluray discs of tv season boxsets, instead of the 100 or so dvds i have now
In 720p, which is the maximum tv shows are broadcast in, content is at about 1.5gb per hour. Your regular standard definition tv shows are transferred at around 0.3gb per hour.

HD DVD actually has discs that are 51gb so it equates to around 34 hours of 720p footage. Which is more than enough for a television series and it's bonus content on one disc (unless you want a whole year of neighbours on one disc :D, which BD can't do either). Or 170 hours of standard definition content.

They were also working on getting more layers on the disc.

I can't think of any real world examples where the limits of HD-DVD or BD at present would truly be tested for pressed video formats.

For both formats, the numbers are irrelevant, both are more than capable of doing whatever the job is. Neither format is inferior or superior, whichever one prevailed the content would have been exactly the same. Blu-ray was immature when it hit the market, it still is, once the format is finalised then it's time to go out and buy a standalone player, but not until then. I just think it's a massive stretch to call a technology inferior, without understand the technology itself, or the technological requirements needed for it's purpose. BD could have had 900gb, it still wouldn't have been any more superior for it's purpose.

Last edited:

Marco-EFIVL

Now driving R34 GT-T taxi
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Skyline, R34 GT-T (RB25DET NEO) sedan
i still think Blu-ray will die. History will repeat itself, remember Beta video? Microsoft will incorporate HD-DVD into computers. Whats Blu-ray got apart from movies? Also Pixar has left Blu-ray and gone to HD-DVD from what I read.

But Warner Bros went the other way...
Cancels Pixar out easily...

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
But Warner Bros went the other way...
Cancels Pixar out easily...
Warner is what killed HD-DVD, no doubt about it.

HD Video however still has a long way to go IMO. Unless they manage to secure the mum and dad market, not just the tech savvy market it will never be profitable.

Realistically most regular people don't notice or care about the difference between a new dvd on a quality dvd player (with upscaling) and blu ray. Not to the point that paying out $600+ means a good return on investment.

In terms of sound quality, there is very little most will pick up the difference with unless you have a top of the range sound system.

The extra features of HD video don't really pack much more punch over regular dvd, PiP isn't really all that useful for most. Regular DVD still looks good enough to most people, and buy the time most people start to think it isn't good enough, who knows what's around the corner, most people may move to just having downloadable movie content like on iTunes. Digital media is becoming more and more prevalent.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
why is everyone saying HD-DVD is ceasing? All I've read here is that Toshiba aren't producing anymore players. Doesn't mean no one else is.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
In 720p, which is the maximum tv shows are broadcast in, content is at about 1.5gb per hour. Your regular standard definition tv shows are transferred at around 0.3gb per hour.

HD DVD actually has discs that are 51gb so it equates to around 34 hours of 720p footage. Which is more than enough for a television series and it's bonus content on one disc (unless you want a whole year of neighbours on one disc :D, which BD can't do either). Or 170 hours of standard definition content.

They were also working on getting more layers on the disc.

I can't think of any real world examples where the limits of HD-DVD or BD at present would truly be tested for pressed video formats.

For both formats, the numbers are irrelevant, both are more than capable of doing whatever the job is. Neither format is inferior or superior, whichever one prevailed the content would have been exactly the same. Blu-ray was immature when it hit the market, it still is, once the format is finalised then it's time to go out and buy a standalone player, but not until then. I just think it's a massive stretch to call a technology inferior, without understand the technology itself, or the technological requirements needed for it's purpose. BD could have had 900gb, it still wouldn't have been any more superior for it's purpose.

more space is always going to be better, and theyll find a use for it. theyll put 10 movies on one disc as a sales pitch just to sell more if they have to. i like the idea of having not 1, but multiple seasons of one show on a single disc

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
more space is always going to be better, and theyll find a use for it. theyll put 10 movies on one disc as a sales pitch just to sell more if they have to. i like the idea of having not 1, but multiple seasons of one show on a single disc
The example I just gave you they can put more than 1 series on a disc. 170 hours worth to be exact, it's only tv shows broadcast in HD that that would be put on one disc. Blu-ray can put on one and a half if they wanted.

You're never going to be able to put say 5 seasons of a hd series on one disc, there simply isn't the space on either format. Older tv shows broadcast in standard definition, say like Seinfeld, every episode could be put on one disc....

You think studios would do that though? I doubt it.

As I said before for any purpose at present, there is no need for any more storage beyond HD-DVD's capacity.

10 movies on one disc is impossible on either format in 1080p. Both could do it in 720p.

For real world purposes, both have more than ample storage.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
The example I just gave you they can put more than 1 series on a disc. 170 hours worth to be exact, it's only tv shows broadcast in HD that that would be put on one disc. Blu-ray can put on one and a half if they wanted.

You're never going to be able to put say 5 seasons of a hd series on one disc, there simply isn't the space on either format. Older tv shows broadcast in standard definition, say like Seinfeld, every episode could be put on one disc....

You think studios would do that though? I doubt it.

As I said before for any purpose at present, there is no need for any more storage beyond HD-DVD's capacity.

10 movies on one disc is impossible on either format in 1080p. Both could do it in 720p.

For real world purposes, both have more than ample storage.

why wouldnt they do it? cut down on manufacturing costs and sell it for the same price, possibly charge more because of the convenience to the customer. like i said, as long as there is more space, theyll find a use for it

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
why is everyone saying HD-DVD is ceasing? All I've read here is that Toshiba aren't producing anymore players. Doesn't mean no one else is.
They've stopped supporting and developing the project. Sure companies can still continue to support the product, but the movie format war is over, blu-ray is the winner, studios won't support a format that even it's creator is no longer producing.

HD DVD will still no doubt be used in HD video markets, possibly integrated into DVR's or camcorders due to its cheaper manufacturing of components.

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
why wouldnt they do it? cut down on manufacturing costs and sell it for the same price, possibly charge more because of the convenience to the customer. like i said, as long as there is more space, theyll find a use for it
I doubt a consumer would pay more for a 1 disc edition of a tv show.

But in any case, the numbers we're talking about is about 20 seasons of a sitcom on one disc. Do you think consumers will be willing to pay $600 for 1 disc of a tv show(assuming a season costs $30)? I for one would laugh if that was the going price for 1 disc.... What happens if you scratch it?

For a blu ray disc thats 35 seasons worth of content... Which is $1050.

I agree with you that more data is generally better, but for the life of me, I cannot see how a studio would ever sign off on an idea like this... Besides, most people are actually fans of boxsets and all the bonus type things you get with a singular series.

Fact of the matter remains, to fill that extra space it takes time, money and development to do. Something most studios aren't willing to do. The extra space on both formats is more than sufficient for any space demands required for HD video at present and in the future.

Last edited:

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd

Microsoft don't make computers.