Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Debadging adhesive

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I used a caramel wheel in a cordless drill for my SIDI badges. Gets the stubborn stuff right off without worrying about solvents.

you could get rid of it with a grinder too, but prepsol is formulated to clean stuff like wax and grease off of painted surfaces.

KaneOmega

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 holden commodore omega
Bought some tough wax and grease remover and it did absolutely nothing :/
The adhesive seems like it's infused with the paint or it's just a really tough glue.. If I pick at it, it's just going to tear the paint off behind it.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
HAve you tried eucalyptus oil?
I used it when i got rid of the bonnet badge on my XUV.
It works ok , got rid of the glue, it did leave a faint outline of badge though., which came out when I had the car detailed.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Desolvit from bunnings is great for getting that stuff off. You should be able to heat the badge up with the hair drier until it almost falls off, you wont damage the paint with a hair drier.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
The adhesive seems like it's infused with the paint or it's just a really tough glue.. If I pick at it, it's just going to tear the paint off behind it.

Wow, sounds like it may not be the factory adhesive. It should be like black spongy stuff.

Maybe the previous owner has stuck it on with Sikaflex or similar?

Pyrex

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute

I think someone may have stuck that badge down with superglue, the factory uses soft black double sided tape which comes off easy with some heat and rubbing. The only way to remove superglue is with acetone, I have no idea what this will do to paint so maybe take it to a car detailer/bodyworks.

degeneration

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sportwagon
^^ He ends up using paint thinner (a solvent like Prepsol) anyway!

Whatever works I guess :)

Exactly. I think the principle is the adhesive is just on the outside of the black stuff holding the badge on. That orange stuff you buy at the supermarket got the last layer off for me.