Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Decent exhaust?

STARK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY BERLINA II 5.7
I have a vy s2 v8 berlina and was wanting to know what kind of exhaust i should get? Im new to this car, (had it less than 2 weeks) but it sounds nothing like a v8 and i want it to have a nice note, not a purr like a small kitten..

Bryce_VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
Do a search, theres so many exhaust threads its not funny.
Go to a local shop and get an expert opinion as well ;) But I would say Lukey, Redback, or better - Xforce or Mantra. Decide if you want stainless for better life (theres not a massive difference in note), will alter price dramatically. I would also suggest a nice set of extractors, will bring out the best in a V8.

STARK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY BERLINA II 5.7
Yeah I just wanted to get some opinions on what people prefer first because I have stuff all time to go to a exhaust shop and the only time ill be able to get in is when I get it installed.
Was hoping to spend around $1k or less...shallow pockets.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
Please do not listen to anyone that recommends Xforce, they are so full of fail you will wonder why you wasted your money on chinese crap.

3 parts: Extractors, decent hi flow cats, catback.

Extractors: Most people do pacemakers for a reason, they are tried and true. Tri Ys are better for street as they provide more response across the rev range (or so they say) whereas 4 into 1's will probably give you a better dyno figure.

Cats: Why spend all this money on an exhaust and leave your shitty old cats on? Buy some decent ones, look for 200cpi ones, you can get 100cpi ones but their effectiveness is questionable.

Catback: Twin 2.5 inch is usual if you plans dont extend out past an OTR and tune, otherwise go twin 3 inch for cam, stroker, etc. Manta is good, so is Pacemaker, Difillipo systems sound awesome, but you pay for the note. You can get it with full mufflers (2 centre ones, then usually 1 rear muffler), or you can get just the centre mufflers and a straight through tailpipe, depends on if you want a nice burble or if you want nanna to hear it 7 blocks away. You can just get a catback if funds dont allow extractors+ hi flow cats, if you want a decent power gain though and the best note available get the lot though.

Pretty much if you want I can PM you some stores ive gotten quotes from, that actually offer decent systems. If you go into a shop and they start going on about how good Xforce is just turn around and walk away.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
Yeah I just wanted to get some opinions on what people prefer first because I have stuff all time to go to a exhaust shop and the only time ill be able to get in is when I get it installed.
Was hoping to spend around $1k or less...shallow pockets.

You would get a catback fitted for that. would be looking at more $2500 for a decent full system.

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
hey man ive got a manta catback that was off my vxss its a twin 2.5 but has 3 inch flanges its only done a couple of thousand k's for 150 if ya want it

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
Above catback
Set of headers- $300 off gumtree
Then just buy hi flow cars from the exhaust shop your getting to fit the lot.

Less then 1k, good note and probably a good hp increase to boot.

M01ST

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF SSV Redline, 02 VU SS Ute
Then just buy hi flow cars from the exhaust shop your getting to fit the lot.

Dude my mate got set of 3 inch cats of ebay for 300 bucks, exhaust shop charges like 600 for 2.

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
I'll be getting a difillipo system on my car, personally.