Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] Defected for v8 Conversion

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
View attachment 144770

will for sure be doing that tomorrow, and trying my best to avoid the inspection..
and also after more advice if anyone has any just to make sure i cover all my bases...

and for VICRoads their view on it seems the exact same
Good luck mate, hope it all works out for the best.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
im in SA and i have done a few of these conversions.

The way i understand it is that if that model of car was released with that engine and you use all the emission components that the car requires then you 'should' be fine.

VR was released with a 5L v8 so you can use any of the efi 5L engines. We even did a VT HSV 5L into my mates VR and it was approved with the new engine number, without inspection, no worries. Ive taken a efi 5L out of my VN, put a manual behind it, and slotted it into a VR using VR 5L loom and ecu. applied for the engine number change, and was passed by regency for the engine number no worries.

In terms of brakes... if the defect was for changing them i.e. fitting VT brakes, then yes thats a defect. Suspension... well they are well within their right to issue a defect on that. I assume that you lowered it? its a modification that is outside of the factory specs. so its defective according to them. stupid i know...

Pretty much they can defect you for anything on any car, even if it just suspicion, and its your problem to prove that it isn't. thats the unfortunate truth that many of us encounter.

From the info u have given i dont see why they defected you? but there could be more to your story?

Were u speeding? or doing any hoon like stuff? cause that usually is a good excuse/ opportunity for a cop to slap a defect on a car

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
Engineering certification. It isnt easy, or cheap, and they can still say no.

AutoSnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
'91 VN S2 Exec Wagon
im in SA and i have done a few of these conversions.

The way i understand it is that if that model of car was released with that engine and you use all the emission components that the car requires then you 'should' be fine.

VR was released with a 5L v8 so you can use any of the efi 5L engines. We even did a VT HSV 5L into my mates VR and it was approved with the new engine number, without inspection, no worries. Ive taken a efi 5L out of my VN, put a manual behind it, and slotted it into a VR using VR 5L loom and ecu. applied for the engine number change, and was passed by regency for the engine number no worries.

In terms of brakes... if the defect was for changing them i.e. fitting VT brakes, then yes thats a defect. Suspension... well they are well within their right to issue a defect on that. I assume that you lowered it? its a modification that is outside of the factory specs. so its defective according to them. stupid i know...

Pretty much they can defect you for anything on any car, even if it just suspicion, and its your problem to prove that it isn't. thats the unfortunate truth that many of us encounter.

From the info u have given i dont see why they defected you? but there could be more to your story?

Were u speeding? or doing any hoon like stuff? cause that usually is a good excuse/ opportunity for a cop to slap a defect on a car

thats exactly how i thought it happens, i have just taken my old conplete front end from my statesman and just dropped it in its place.. has standard brakes and lowered suspension, but not too low for a defect for ride height...

as for the story for the cops.. i live in a fairly small town, wasnt hooning, speeding or doing anything to attract their attention just i've been done for hooning offences like over a year ago and cops won't just leave me alone.... and when they got out their cop cars they said "ryan, this is nothing to do with your driving... can se see your car"

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
so you had one car that got defected and pretty much put the running gear in another car.... what did you expect was always going to get defected

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
thats exactly how i thought it happens, i have just taken my old conplete front end from my statesman and just dropped it in its place.. has standard brakes and lowered suspension, but not too low for a defect for ride height...

as for the story for the cops.. i live in a fairly small town, wasnt hooning, speeding or doing anything to attract their attention just i've been done for hooning offences like over a year ago and cops won't just leave me alone.... and when they got out their cop cars they said "ryan, this is nothing to do with your driving... can se see your car"

If that's the case then it seems that they are just being nit picky? Once you are on record it'll stick for a long time, and being you're in a small town makes it worse.

The only issue ive had with changing an engine over is when i walked into service sa to change the engine number. i had just purchased the donor car and i didnt transfer it into my name coz i was never going to drive it as it was. the other car was a v6 and i was yet to transfer that one either (Why would i, when it was out of rego and it wasnt being driven?!?) i changed the v8 engine in for the v6 before i went to change numbers. i explained this to the teller and he said that i need to get it inspected as both vehicles weren't registered as mine when they were modified. Lucky for me i went straight to another service sa branch and transfered the vehicles into my name FIRST, then applied for the engine number change. after that it was fine. I was so annoyed as it cost me extra cash and time for what i thought would be logical, but they perceived as very wrong... ah well