Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

defected - need some help

vh ~ very horny

Reaction score
Members Ride
83 VH slx
ok well last night alot of my lighting went to the crapper.

the first problame was i was on delivery ( im a driver. ) and i noticed when i trod on the braked, my left indicator on my dash lights would glow, not light up, but more of a half way there type of thing.

then i noticed when i was on the brake and tryed to indcate left, it wouldnt, or it would but at a very slow rate.

so i got pulled over, need to re-do my whole left hand side back lights for me to pass the defect.

so i was thinking the indicater problame could be a earth problame? could anyone please tell me where i would find the earth on my back lights, cant seem to find the bloody thing.

also, any idea why when i brake it is interfering with how my rear lights react? i cant figure it out, im broke so i cant go to a auto election and ive got till tuesday to clear it (Y)

thanks for your help.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Have a look and clean the earth points on the back, where the tailights bolt into, in the boot. Also clean the contacts on the actual tailights too.

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
i had exactly the same problem not 2 days ago! your right it is an earthing prob, check the plug-in connection to the left hand rear tail light assembly, and look for a burnt earth pin (ill post some pics) i gave em a good clean up with some 'wet and dry' but the prob came back shortly after so i said stuff it and soldered it together, has worked a treat so far also stopped the brake lights on that side dimming when the indicator flashes

hope this helps

Attachments

• lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 149

vh ~ very horny

Reaction score
Members Ride
83 VH slx
ok thanks for the advice.
but i cleaned the conenctions and the earth conencting bits and pieces, and it didnt change.

for now ive got one last question
the for a while my two middle rear lights have not worked.

theres the two lights with the indicator and one rear light on either side, but you know the two in the middle? two new blocks of lights, so four lights all together?

well anyway these two middle sets of lights havnt worked in a while. one reason was they had no globes. i bought some globes, but they still dont light up, and idea?
and do these two blocks of lights in the middle have an earth? cos i couldnt find any on either.

thanks, need this fixed asap or i cant work.. *sigh*

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
the 2 midd;e ones should only light up when you brake. It does sound like an earth problem

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Run a wire to earth from one of the earths on the light socket and see if that helps. It fixed my problem.

dreamcatchu

sick puppy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
mine does the same thing, but on the right side instead, just corroded contacts on the plug for me, and for the center lights not working could be that only certain models used them, check to see if there is a terminal in the bottom of the bulb socket

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Hey mate when u gonna post a pic of ur car with my old mags.....I really wanna see them on there.....I loved those mags...didn't wanna sell them but had to sacrifice them to get my 17's. :p

PEAKN6

Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbros.co.nr
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X 6cyl 4spd, soon to be a Mild 253
i believe VHPirie had this problem with the lights cracking the poops but it was just an earth problem. when i got my car the right indecator flashed heaps quick, i wired up a trailer plug soon after and when we had a trailer on the back the indecator went normal again but i didnt worry about fixing it tho coz i fitted the vk tail lights so therefore had to chop out the old tail light loom and had to put a vk one in. i threw in an extra earth just to be sure and it works great.

u shud just get some wire and dodge up a few earths for it and see if it helps then do em properly.