Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Defected !!!!!!!!

GREGWATKINS75

05 VZS UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ S ALLOYTEC 190
Update.
after returning the car to factory ride hieght, replacing all lights to factory spec and having car presented at local police station to obtain a permission to drive signature, I am now allowed to drive on the road again until sceduled inspection at regency.

After an interesting talk with the local station I was informed that a car does not have to be legally defective to be issued with a defect notice, but more so it is at the discression and suspision of the issuing officer, in short if he thinks its defectable he can issue a notice, he doesnt need to be technically correct.

Another interesteng point I discovered is that according to Recency a cars suspension can be modified aslong as suspension has at least 70 percent of original travel and a ground clerance of 100mm or more from the lowest point, all of which mine had.. therefore I did not need to change any of my modifications as they were within guidlines, as I had only reduced travel by 22.4%.

But now am up for a 139 dollar inspection due to a ill informed police officer handing out defects. Additionally if i do reinstall the lowered springs and another officer decides at his discretion to apply another defect then the penatly increases for 2nd, and subsequent offences up to $345 plus futher $139 inspection fees, again all being at the discretion of the police officers, with them not requireeing proof of and actuall infringment.

I have decided now to leave my car as standard factory, until south australian police and the rest of australia can come up with a national stanard for motor vhiecles instead of a OH I THINK IT MIGHT BE APPROACH.

AS FOR THIS COMMENT FROM THE MOD VLV8VIC:

Since you mention the pickle you are in I'll say this - screw forking out for unhealthy and expensive food when you have no job! Either fix the car asap or use public transport. I guess it is too late to suggest holding off having kids until you are able to support yourself first.
I don't mean to be harsh but if you are innocent in terms of the defect then it'll cost you nothing but time to get it cleared. If it really is too low then you either ream the person to lowered it and hit them up for the cost or bite the bullet and suck it in.

A) I suspect you will be critical of me not using the computer correctly to insert your comments.

B) It will cost approximatley $450.00 to return the car to what the officer requested and have the defect cleared, although according to regency fact sheets the car is legal.

C) what relevance does having childern hold to the conversation? I have worked fulltime since leaving school, ie. been in full time employment working more than 55 hours a week for the last 15 years. I questioned the officer as to the defect, noting that i was slightly upset, I was upset due to the fact that I had been fiered from my job, and that I was worried that I would not have the use of my car to attended a number of job interviews I had in the following 2 days. "Finding a job to support myself and child." And for your information I have never recived, or applied for government benifits, even though it would be a lot easier than being a working single parent, and I am self funding myself until I find a new job!!

D) Reading alot of your posts you seem to be on the negitive side of disscusions quiet frequently, I heard a saying once "If you dont have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all"

Last edited:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I would seriously pursue the ombudsman and fight to get all expenses paid pack due to lack of knowledge and out of pocket expenses caused by this.

GREGWATKINS75

05 VZS UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ S ALLOYTEC 190
To Minux,
From experinces my brother had had with a heavily modifed(but fully engineered) car, and a few local police officers, I would rather leave the matter where it is, drive a standard car and keep the police happy.
As the local police told me it is at the discretion of the officer in question, and I would prefer him and his work mates to point there discretion in other directions than to have to endure regular " Discretionary" inspections when ever they se me on the road

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
vlv8vic: I really hope that you never ever do anything wrong and know every rule there is to know in Vic...You must be a saint!

Not at all mate but my point regarding oil leaks - it isn't hard to keep a car free of oil leaks. Like i said in another thread my car isn't roadworthy which is why i don't drive it. In a pinch i'd probably drive it but while there are other options i'll use those.

Update.
AS FOR THIS COMMENT FROM THE MOD VLV8VIC:

A) I suspect you will be critical of me not using the computer correctly to insert your comments.

B) It will cost approximatley $450.00 to return the car to what the officer requested and have the defect cleared, although according to regency fact sheets the car is legal.

C) what relevance does having childern hold to the conversation? I have worked fulltime since leaving school, ie. been in full time employment working more than 55 hours a week for the last 15 years. I questioned the officer as to the defect, noting that i was slightly upset, I was upset due to the fact that I had been fiered from my job, and that I was worried that I would not have the use of my car to attended a number of job interviews I had in the following 2 days. "Finding a job to support myself and child." And for your information I have never recived, or applied for government benifits, even though it would be a lot easier than being a working single parent, and I am self funding myself until I find a new job!!

D) Reading alot of your posts you seem to be on the negitive side of disscusions quiet frequently, I heard a saying once "If you dont have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all"

A) no
B)I agree that is ****, now knowing how different the system is to ours i feel your pain.
C)I think it is great that you can cope, i just don't see the point in telling the copper your sob story when financially you are comfortable.
D) I am glad you can read. I present a different aspect, yes, but i do get sick of reading people complaining about things that they have some power over. Like minux said, take it further and recover your costs. Actually win this one rather than complain about it. You have options!
As far as "if you don't have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all" i think you should re-read it and work out what it actually means which is the opposite of what you are suggesting.

I apologise for being critical. You are not the same as all the other whingers who "****ing **** copper defected me for me cut springs and bald tyres."

GREGWATKINS75

05 VZS UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ S ALLOYTEC 190
^^^^^vlv8vic^^^^^

I think you may have missed my main point i was trying to convey!
I do not have a problem with Police Officers or the Australian legal system(except the family court, but lets not go there).

My concern was that the officer stated HE WAS UNDER PRESSURE TO HIT QUOTAS, and the coincidence that he had 3 commodores all in a neat respectable state pulled over with defect stikers on them!

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
^^^^^vlv8vic^^^^^

I think you may have missed my main point i was trying to convey!
I do not have a problem with Police Officers or the Australian legal system(except the family court, but lets not go there).

My concern was that the officer stated HE WAS UNDER PRESSURE TO HIT QUOTAS, and the coincidence that he had 3 commodores all in a neat respectable state pulled over with defect stikers on them!

i agree that him saying was stupid. I wish i had been there to hear him say it. I was unaware quotas still existed and figured he might have been taking the piss by saying it.

GREGWATKINS75

05 VZS UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ S ALLOYTEC 190
From what I have researched, when it goes to regency the inspectors, as it has a defect label on it , will be inspecting the car to ensure it comply's with holdens original factory standards. If it does not comply I am under the understanding they can then issue further defect notices which will incur fines, futher inspection fees and points take of licences. Probably will affect my insureance as well, all of wich I would rather avoid.

Going to get used to driving a factory car............till i win the lottery, then I will employe a team of engineers and lawyers to have a set of clearly defined and enforcable set of national guidelines, might even print a handbook to sell to all car enthusiasts to keep in there glove box, for if and when they encounter similar circumstances!

GREGWATKINS75

05 VZS UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ S ALLOYTEC 190
Update!
Went to regency for a defect clerance to day, and well not a bunch of w*nke*r*s like alot of people say, dealt with a young guy who was pretty good, happy with my car even said the front could come down another 30mm from its ride hieght if i wanted to and still be satisfactory.
He did comment on motor bike police and there attitudes which i thought was funny too.

Another thing he mentioned though was in SA, the only state in australia ,it is illegal to have front drivers or passangers window tinted! Yes he made me take the tint off, and let me drive home freely, still a pain though!