Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Defence force choices

Robbo_c

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais II,2007 Calais V
I leave for Kapooka on the 27th of October.I cant wait.

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Who's ready for the thread dig?!
I finished my you session, got 4 questions wrong (total of 195) and got asked if I wanted to sit another mock test for pilot and general officer entry, so I did, passed all with flying colors. Now the clincher, my case manager said I'm going to bombarded with questions about why I didn't originally apply for an officer postion. Now my question is will I have Tom, dick and Harry trying to convince me to ditch cavalryman thought this process as my preferred job for something that wouldn't be a waste of my intellect? And kapooka, I know never raise your hand for something voluntary, don't talk to the female recruits and no matter what I do or how I do it, it'll be wrong, so am I missing anything else haha?

Biznatch303

Pew Pew Lasers
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR Ute/ 16 MQ Triton
You're referring to the Officer selection board? They'll grill you about it to find out your decision and thought processes.

They deliberately try to make you second guess yourself and make you feel uncomfortable. It is exactly what they are there for. Level headed approach and calmness will get you through.

While i did not do recruits are Kapooka (I'm in the RAAF) i have a lot of mates that did and it's similar to ours. Play their game.
It is intense and designed to break you and build you up. Do what they say, when they say and you'll do fine.

As for the choice you make about what you want to do. It is upto you. Don't let anyone force you into a job you don't want. If you want to be in Cav, go be in Cav!

I've been in 7 years and loving it.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Biznatch.

Unrelated to this thread I realize but are you still based at Tindal?

Biznatch303

Pew Pew Lasers
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR Ute/ 16 MQ Triton
Biznatch.

Unrelated to this thread I realize but are you still based at Tindal?

Nah mate, i posted to Williamtown at the start of this year

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Interesting. So did my son. Three years in the NT was enough for him. 77?

hmm, was talking to my bro and everyone is avoiding a Darwin posting, I would've thought the young would enjoy a tropical posting

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
hmm, was talking to my bro and everyone is avoiding a Darwin
posting, I would've thought the young would enjoy a tropical posting

I'm not surprised. If the posting was Darwin, it might not be so bad. Tindal is over 300 km south and the nearest town is Katherine. Not much to do and very hot and humid. Would have to be one of the least pleasant air force base locations in the country.

Pusser

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L sedan
Who's ready for the thread dig?!
I finished my you session, got 4 questions wrong (total of 195) and got asked if I wanted to sit another mock test for pilot and general officer entry, so I did, passed all with flying colors. Now the clincher, my case manager said I'm going to bombarded with questions about why I didn't originally apply for an officer postion. Now my question is will I have Tom, dick and Harry trying to convince me to ditch cavalryman thought this process as my preferred job for something that wouldn't be a waste of my intellect? And kapooka, I know never raise your hand for something voluntary, don't talk to the female recruits and no matter what I do or how I do it, it'll be wrong, so am I missing anything else haha?

Mate I am coming up to 20 years as of next week. I am currently a Navy officer but joined as a Junior Sailor. One of my many postings was at recruiting in Melbourne. The extra testing they asked you to do is purely because of your initial scores to give you options. If you want to be Cav there is nothing they can do to stop you as long as you pass all the requirements. Bear in mind that if the category is full or overborne it may take longer to get in. Intellect and common sense is welcomed no matter what the job, Corps or service!