Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Delco or Haltech for L67?

zeropalooba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim L67 manual
Hi all, I've put an L67 and Getrag 5 speed into my VS Acclaim. I have an NVRAM in the Delco ECU and have loaded the stock automatic tune and turned fault codes off. It doesn't idle properly (revving up and down trying to find a sweet spot and eventually stalling) and from what I've read, that can happen even without a vacuum leak. I haven't taken it to a tuner because they cost money and I have plans.... I have a 2.8" pulley to go onto the M90 and intend to intercool the engine. Then I will get it tuned.
Here's my problem -> How trustworthy are tunes done with TunerPro RT or kalmaker? I've heard there are some questionable tuners out there. If tunes are not easy to get done and not all that reliable should I save up for a stand alone ECU such as a Haltech Elite 2000 and get that tuned instead?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
When you say you've loaded the "stock automatic tune" are you talking about the stock supercharged tune or the automatic N/A tune? Complete L67 or top swap?

TunerPro and Kalmaker are not the issue, it's the tuners you have to choose from as there's not a huge pool, although you are in Sydney so there should be a couple of okay ones to choose from - Ace Performance Tuning, SAS etc...

Only issues with going down the Haltech path is that it will need it's own loom to be built for it and the cold start won't be as good as the Delco if you daily the thing or intend on driving it often.

Up until that point you'd be far better off getting a mail order tune from The1 or Delcowizzid or Mace (although with mods as common as yours they would be fine for a final tune). You really need to determine if the issues you're currently having are tune related or not though.

Last edited:

zeropalooba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim L67 manual
All very good points. The tune is the one for the L67 on PCM Hacking. I think “enhanced” so it can be edited in real time. Thank you for suggesting some tuners. I’ll get in touch with them.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
All very good points. The tune is the one for the L67 on PCM Hacking. I think “enhanced” so it can be edited in real time. Thank you for suggesting some tuners. I’ll get in touch with them.
street machine carnage series on youtube are fitting a l67 into a vn using a haltech ecu , you see at the 2m 38 sec

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It's this one: https://www.haltech.com/product/ht-051100-platinum-sport-plug-in-gm/

Granted it's a plugin It's still a lot of dosh, it still won't have the features of a lot of newer ECUs that cost less. I'd look at mail order tunes and how you go with those before you commit to this.

If you haven't already I'd ask for help trouble shooting on the PCM hacking forums, if you're absolutely sure you don't have a vacuum leak they should be able to tell you why your idle problem is happening.

Last edited:

zeropalooba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim L67 manual
I have been to the PCM Hacking forum with little success. A fellow posted his efforts at sorting out the idle issue that occurs when mating a manual gearbox to an L67. He'd changed the spark timing at low rpms and said it made a huge difference. I thought about doing that but go cold feet since I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing!

I'm also a member of a Facebook group for L67s set up by Brushworks Slick Sixes - "L67 and Turbo V6s Australia'. That's where I learned that a lot of people get the idle issue. Some just wind the throttle stop out a bit and that keeps the butterfly open just enough to prevent the engine stalling. I tried that and it worked but was not tolerant to hot starts when the engine would idle too high.

I also want to increase the boost and I understand that mafless tuning is the preferred method due to the MAF running out of resolution at very high airflow. A recent comment I received on the Facebook group was that there is no mafless tune available for TunerPro RT. I was told that if I wanted mafless and to keep the Delco, I'd have to find a tuner that used Kalmaker. I wonder how many of those there are left and how much support they get from Mr Kalmaker. His website is full of broken links and doesn't seem to be updated very often...

I've been watching supermang with great interest and had noted that they were planning to go Haltech. Al from The Skid Factory made a comment about tuning the Delco and said he didn't know how people did it, but good on them for giving it a go. That made me think that tuning the Delco is a dark art and perhaps left to wizards or those with supernatural powers.

All in all, I'm tending to go Haltech but need the funds - same boat we're all in, I guess.

Vyute78

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ute 3.8 auto
I think delco or link fury4 is probably best depends if running auto or getrag

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I have been to the PCM Hacking forum with little success. A fellow posted his efforts at sorting out the idle issue that occurs when mating a manual gearbox to an L67. He'd changed the spark timing at low rpms and said it made a huge difference. I thought about doing that but go cold feet since I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing!

I'm also a member of a Facebook group for L67s set up by Brushworks Slick Sixes - "L67 and Turbo V6s Australia'. That's where I learned that a lot of people get the idle issue. Some just wind the throttle stop out a bit and that keeps the butterfly open just enough to prevent the engine stalling. I tried that and it worked but was not tolerant to hot starts when the engine would idle too high.

I also want to increase the boost and I understand that mafless tuning is the preferred method due to the MAF running out of resolution at very high airflow. A recent comment I received on the Facebook group was that there is no mafless tune available for TunerPro RT. I was told that if I wanted mafless and to keep the Delco, I'd have to find a tuner that used Kalmaker. I wonder how many of those there are left and how much support they get from Mr Kalmaker. His website is full of broken links and doesn't seem to be updated very often...

I've been watching supermang with great interest and had noted that they were planning to go Haltech. Al from The Skid Factory made a comment about tuning the Delco and said he didn't know how people did it, but good on them for giving it a go. That made me think that tuning the Delco is a dark art and perhaps left to wizards or those with supernatural powers.

All in all, I'm tending to go Haltech but need the funds - same boat we're all in, I guess.

Al from the skid factory is a great mechanic but by his own admission, he's not a tuner. They are also sponsored by Haltech no doubt so I'm sure there is no bias there at all....

A Delco Auto L67 tune with a manual will cause issues. There are a few tables that need adjustment. Find a manual ecotec tune and copy over the idle settings and the low RPM/airflow areas of the ignition maps.

Unfortunately most tuners will only touch certain ecu's, most will do LS stuff and aftermarket like Haltech which sucks for the V6 guys as the delco is a better ecu than most aftermarket ecu's unless you only care about making power.

You are correct, there is currently no MAFless option for the delco except Kalmaker.

street machine carnage series on youtube are fitting a l67 into a vn using a haltech ecu , you see at the 2m 38 sec

I like Carnage and I've been watching Scotty work on the VN/L67 and the show's name is very apt, spot on really because he indeed creates carnage. But hey, many parts come from sponsors or they are paid for with other peoples money so who cares when it blows up right?

zeropalooba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim L67 manual
Thank you Immortality! Mace Engineering has just landed a new shipment of A2A intercooler plates and I have ordered mine! So excited. I have a 69 mm pulley to go onto my so far standard L67. I've read that MAFs run out of resolution with increased boost and I'm guessing with intercooling and a 69mm pulley I'm going to have to look at MAFless tuning. Since my VS is no longer my daily (understatement - it's in a shed under a cover and I drive an Astra) I have time to save up for an aftermarket ECU. To be honest, I like the idea of the tech and tuning support the aftermarkets have as well as the added features of CAN and fancy coloured dashboards.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
They guys on the PCM hacking forum have modified the factory Code. The1's Enhanced code has eliminated the factory limitations so you Csn use LS style Mafs . I know one guy who is still using a LS maf with a cammed l67, tiny pulley and hybrid a2a/w2a system.