Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailing Tips & Tricks....

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
RainX is the shyte!

Heard about it... got it from ricebarn, guy there couldn't give it enough good rep (that's before we even found it on the shelf, he'd thought they had stopped stocking it and was directing me to another store)...

Threw it on last night... 10 mins or so including waiting for it to dry...

Today it rained a bit, water beads like you would not beleive... and it literally falls off the windscreen!! and at $10 for (apparently) a years worth... cheap as too.

Can't stress how cool this stuff is :)

Premwood

Reaction score
hey... its been a while, but i got a meguirs clay block and used it on that mark that the caryards sticker left.... to no avail, any other ideas? by the way, what is everybodys opinion on fish oil???

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
hey... its been a while, but i got a meguirs clay block and used it on that mark that the caryards sticker left.... to no avail, any other ideas? by the way, what is everybodys opinion on fish oil???

Fish oil is full of Omega3 and very good for you if you're pregnant :rofl: I couldn't resist. Fish oil is meant for repairing rust isn't it? Whats the problem?

As far as the paint problem goes I don't have anymore answers. The only other option will be to take it to a pro detailer and ask for their opinion. On the bright side the megs detail clay is not a waste. If your car is a daily driver and exposed to the elements very often then clay the whole car. you'll be amazed at how well the car looks afterwards and how dirty the clay bar can get after doing the whole car even immediately after washing it first. Make sure you follow with a good quality polish and then a wax. Are you able to get us some photos?

Premwood

Reaction score
Within the next few days a couple of pics up of the results.... and that pesky mark :angry:!!!

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
If anyone is looking for some tips on doing a full detail with the intention of removing those annoying swirls creating a deep reflective shine then look here...

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=32622&page=3

Thought I'd post a before and after shot.

BEFORE

35.jpg

...AND AFTER

131.jpg

Note that every car and every situation calls for a variation in process. My post outlines the steps I took based on what I thought it needed. Hope you get something out of it.
:wax:

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Man that is nuts, awesome job.

bc77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
I need some advice on a good car detailer. I have finally moved to a house with a garage so its time to get the car back up to scratch. Dont have time to do it myself so want to get a proper detailer to do it. There's heaps in yellow pages etc but you never know what they are like till the jobs done and your cash is gone. So I want to know if anyone can recommend a good detailer, from experience, in Sydney. Preferably North West area but happy to travel for a good job.
Thanks!

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I need some advice on a good car detailer. I have finally moved to a house with a garage so its time to get the car back up to scratch. Dont have time to do it myself so want to get a proper detailer to do it. There's heaps in yellow pages etc but you never know what they are like till the jobs done and your cash is gone. So I want to know if anyone can recommend a good detailer, from experience, in Sydney. Preferably North West area but happy to travel for a good job.
Thanks!

Too bad I don't live in Sydney anymore. I would have offered to do it myself. I was in the Kellyville area. Best thing would be to call around some local smash repairers and ask who they use and recommend in your area. Or call a few in the yellowpages and ask them questions about their process for detailing and a price. Don't be surprised if some won't give you a price over the phone. Some will want to see the car first which isn't a bad thing.

bc77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
Thanks Scooter, is a shame you are not still in sydney because I live in the same area!! As for smash repairers I dont know any I would trust, had a bad experience with a couple only 2 weeks ago with the wifes car and these were NRMA recommended guys. I have spoken to a couple of mobile detail guys who talk the talk, but I have not seen their results. Would be great to find someone recommended from experience. If my paint can end up looking like yours I would be stoked and well worth paying for.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Thanks Scooter, is a shame you are not still in sydney because I live in the same area!! As for smash repairers I dont know any I would trust, had a bad experience with a couple only 2 weeks ago with the wifes car and these were NRMA recommended guys. I have spoken to a couple of mobile detail guys who talk the talk, but I have not seen their results. Would be great to find someone recommended from experience. If my paint can end up looking like yours I would be stoked and well worth paying for.

I know I said to contact some smash repairers for contacts but if you go with a smash repairers detailer make sure you are able to see some of their work first. Sometimes they just get the 'in house' painter or apprentice guys to go over the car with a coat of polish and it might look good for a day but once the polish washes off it will look crap again very soon. For a proper detail you need to spend time prep'ing the surface well borfore you go near the polish and most smash repair detailers don't have the time. You may have seen the accident pics in my ride. Before I got the car back they said they'd do a detail on it for me. It came back nice and shiney but there was no 'depth' to the shine which is important and what you want. On the other hand some smash repairers might call in a mobile guy.

The pro mobile detailers will have more time and experience as it's their specialty. Don't be surprised if they quote you around $150 - $180 depending on what you want fixed.