Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diagnosing a blown head gasket

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8

Link doesn't work

This is the item. Many different types and manufacturers, but all perform the same task.
Engine Block Internal Combustion Leak Detector Tester | eBay

EDIT I got your original link to work, but that is in fact a compression leak down test kit. It basically accurately defines the leakage rate of a cylinder. Whether the head gasket has blown, piston/piston rings are worn, the cylinder bore being worn, and possibly the intake and exhaust valves not seating correctly. Another very handy tool.

Joshp

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Berlina V6
Hey guys,
Popped my radiator cap on my vy Calais to check fluids.... radiator cap had brown milky sludge on it and had the same **** sitting on top of the coolant in the filler neck??? We thinking fucked head gasket?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If it's brown sludge under the cap and in the overflow reservoir it is probably just the intake gaskets. If they are real bad you might get a little bit up milky goo under the oil filler cap too but you would know you have an issue as it would be using a fair bit of coolant. On the ecotec motor 95% of the time it's the intake gaskets before it's the head gaskets. What is the oil like? Has it been seriously overheated?

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What he said ^^^^. LIM gaskets are probably the most common issue with the Eco and Buicks. Every early V6 engine will need these doing at some point, it's just a matter of when.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
if it has blown headgasket it will be running on 4 or 5 cylinders and quite obvious.
could also be a bad radiator and/or a rusted thermostat not working judging from what you posted symptons on the radiator/coolant resevoir brown sludge on gap which is more water related than compression. Take it to a radiator shop and get a pressure test on cooling system before talking major engine head problems.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I agree with the responses above. Test it or have it tested but most likely inlet manifold gaskets which are a day job at home. Good to have a Gregory's though to walk you through it.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
What he said ^^^^. LIM gaskets are probably the most common issue with the Eco and Buicks. Every early V6 engine will need these doing at some point, it's just a matter of when.

Agreed....Seen a fair few of them with this exact problem, with the owners thinking the worse....So this would be my first point of call

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I never had a overheating problem with my leaking LIM gasket just sludge in the radiator, did a band-aid fix till I had the money to replace it myself, it does sound like a head gasket but maybe your leak might be in a different spot.. Good luck.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
At what point did he mention overheating? He has sludge in the rad, which 99 times out of 100 is a leaking LIM gasket.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
At what point did he mention overheating? He has sludge in the rad, which 99 times out of 100 is a leaking LIM gasket.
Cool, just took my meds all is ok, I read the old thread and had overheating in my head ok, no need to get snappy..