Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diagnostic Tool Recommendations

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
Hi everyone,

I'm looking into purchasing a diagnostic tool/scanner for home workshop use. It will mainly be used for VX and VF Commodore but also needs to suit Hyundai and Toyota.

I'd like something with all the features and allows you to run tests on individual components (e.g. IAC valve test). View live data, clear fault codes etc.

Basically looking for something with as many necessary features as possible for a reasonable price. Foxwell ET6442 is around the $1000 mark. If need be, I'll pay this, otherwise if there is something less expensive that will do the same job.

I've been looking at iCarsoft and Foxwell. Tech2 would be ideal but that will only suit the Holdens.

Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Cheers :)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Tech 2 doesn't work on VF...
Do a search for Autel equipment, a few JC members are using them.

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Imoengnr,

I've been researching a few different types. This one seems to appear on the forums frequently, Autel MaxiDAS 808.
Apparently this does key programming as well.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/173983291466

The only thing that concerns me is the cost of the updates. Is it really necessary unless purchasing a newer vehicle that the unit doesn't cover?

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi all,

I'm now looking at purchasing the Autel MaxiSys MS906 for use at home. I believe this is the closest replacement model for the old DS708.

https://store.autel.com.au/autel-ma...ive-diagnostic-scanner-update-online_p52.html

It retails for $2500 from the authorised reseller yet I've seen the same unit advertised on eBay for around $1800.

Just curious as to whether anyone has purchased a unit from an eBay seller as opposed to directly from Autel. Are there any differences between the units sold by the authorised reseller and the eBay sellers?

I messaged the eBay seller who said that their units come directly from China and hence the price reduction. Not sure if it's safe to believe this or not. The unit comes from one of those sellers who list under multiple eBay accounts.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers :)