Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dial up users finding JC's slow? This is the answer

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Hell, this is tonnes better. No stupid popups on every second site now either.

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
:D Great to see some mainstream uptake of open source. Theres a free alternative for everything that you have to pay for, theres nothing Ive seen yet that Microsoft makes that cant be downloaded legally, for nothing. And most of the time it works twice as well too. If you havent tried Mozilla or Firefox yet, give them a go, Firefox is best for just plain old internet browsing though, and popups die unless you tell it to let them through.

Also, if you use Outlook (Lookout), Mozilla org has a program called Thunderbird. It looks a bit like Outlook, but it is easier to use, doesnt ask you stupid questions (like 'do you want to reconnect to the internet' when you change identities) and its just plain better.

midnight.outlaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S series 2
THANK GOD FOR THIS, Its like 5 times faster, NO popups!! OMG, i love it. It used to take ages for a website to popup, and plus i have spyware on my computer i can't get rid of, it doesn't affect firefox at all!

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
Why don't you download Spybot ot Ad-Aware midnight? They'll get rid of them...

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
yer mozilla is pretty good.....it is immune to popups and adware, spyware and crap like that could be d/l via internet explorer.

midnight.outlaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S series 2
PIMPIN said:
Why don't you download Spybot or Ad-Aware midnight? They'll get rid of them...
Tried ad-aware about 10 times, still there. don't worry about it, firefox is faster anyway

obe1k

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Chev Lumina SS
Tried ad-aware about 10 times, still there. don't worry about it, firefox is faster anyway
You could run Spybot after ad-aware. Spybot sometimes picks up stuff that's missed by ad-aware...

jacko

Reaction score
I just downloaded it yesterday and i think its great! well worth it!

jacko

Reaction score
oh btw, i have SpyWare and AdAware to scan my computer and they work really well. Mozilla firefox is great beats Internet Explorer by far!

cheers

V

VPCalais

Now you have all tried a great Open Source app like Firefox you should do away with Windows and run a real operating system like Linux :p.
Nah jokes. Being a Linux user from way back I have been using Firefox on my Windows partition now as long as it has been out. If you want a bigger speed increase out of your dial up install and run Linux as your operating system. It can be a pain to install and setup but once it is done it downloads off the net faster (Linux has a better TCP/IP stack and was built for networking) and it is rock solid. My Linux machine has uptimes of over 120 days and only goes down through power outages or my girlfriend knocking the cord out of the wall with the vaccuum cleaner :mad: .

Linux is not for everyone but if you are skilled with a PC and understand hardware then give it a shot.
Like everything to do with PC's tho if you do give it a go back everything up tat you cant afford to lose.
Linux wont destroy data on a Windows drive but a stuff up when partitioning for a new OS can destroy every bit of data you have.
Sorry for the rant.
:p