Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Did I get ripped off??

Jesk

registered lunatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 ef2 fairmont
so by rinse away say just chuck a hose into the top of the radiator or what?

R

rattattack1313

All this has been covered a few times already........I dissconnect all the front hoses, and then flush with the hose..... top , bottom, sides etc etc.......put the hose in the pipes........ stick hand over other holes.......fill system and then drain, etc......make sure you turn the heater on..there is water in there..... :thumbsup:

mr vq

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq caprice 5L
thats as cheap as u will get it done any where in sydney as for the brakes if they for any reason had to pull your calipers off to check your brakes it is illegal for him to replace it with shotty brakes he can get fined for it but i agree he should have called you first but that seems like a prety reasonable price would have cost you more at my workshop

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
mr vq said:
thats as cheap as u will get it done any where in sydney as for the brakes if they for any reason had to pull your calipers off to check your brakes it is illegal for him to replace it with shotty brakes he can get fined for it but i agree he should have called you first but that seems like a prety reasonable price would have cost you more at my workshop
after that service I'm hearing a hissing noise coming from my brakes when I slow down approaching traffic lights. I never felt anything like that before, but now I can distinctively hear something coming from my brakes..

Could that be due to **** brakes?

filtnineee

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS commodore series 2
stuff like oil changes and coolent flush, heck even changing brakes and disks if need be, as well as spark plugs and leads, hoses, fuel filter.
all this stuff you should be able to do your self, commodores are so easy to work with, and this way you know what your putting in. though i dont know of any mechanics using penrite as there oil, however those prices seem fairly stock standard, which is why the only thing i dont touch on my car is the transmisson.

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
cheap but good mechanic

my mechanic charges $25 an hour labour & cost price on parts, ive never had any trouble with him he does a great job, & yes he is registered mechanic

KILLERVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Got quoted for a full radiator/coolant flush, then replacement of coolant for $85 so you may be getting a bit over charged for that service.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Did you get ripped off..

Short answer.. You got taken to town.

10 minutes to change the oil if that.
10 minutes for the coolant.
And brake fluid change, what the hell was he machining the rotors and doing all that other crap for.

I'd do it all for you for 60 dollars.

YellowVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its to embarrasing!
VR-EXEC-DRIVA said:
my mechanic charges $25 an hour labour & cost price on parts, ive never had any trouble with him he does a great job, & yes he is registered mechanic
I had a so called mechanic who did me a good DEAL.
one day he ripped me off tho. so i never went back, i learned to do EVERYTHING myself. And of late have managed a full v8 conversion. from the radiator to the disc brake diff.
I cant stand how everyone is out to rip every other poor bastard off. I know a few good mechanics but. buy im always off the idea of askin them to do something for me , cause I know how busy they are, and id feel like im costing them money! (its like that if they are ur mates)
If i could ever own a workshop, id hope to think I would do the right thing
One mechanic I visited. gloated in the fact that he told an elderly lady she had a cracked head/block or something, charged her thousands of dollars, and all he did was replace the blown head gasket! HOW DO U SLEEP AT NIGHT!
(probably with a wad of $100 notes in your pillow case)

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
one day he ripped me off tho. so i never went back, i learned to do EVERYTHING myself. And of late have managed a full v8 conversion. from the radiator to the disc brake diff.

How do you guys learn stuff about cars? Like Oil changes and coolant flushes ain't too hard.. I'm gettin my coolant flushed for free and the panel beater said he'd accept my coolant to do it with (all insurance stuff)..

But Oil changes I'm gonna do from now on. But how do you pick up all this other stuff. I got a Gregory's manual, but it seems to be geared for someone who already knows a fair bit about cars.

I want to learn stuff about my car, but I'm also afraid to play around with it. Could get costly..

Tips? Hints? Suggestions?