Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Did my smash repairer lie to me?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
No unfortuately. Tried taking them multiple times with and without flash but it just shows a nice shiny surface.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
I have been shafted by "expert panel repair shops" twice. Once, many years ago when a twit bashed in my left fender on my brand new VC Commodore and the second time when I picked up my JE Camira after it had been nose to tailed. With the VC the colour match ("Atlantis blue") was terrible! The guy just said..."Hey...it's hard to colour match new cars!" My reply was, "Crap!". After some heated phone calls with the insurer the work was done over again at a different panel shop. I also scored a hire car for the week for nix because of the inconvenience. The outcome was that the second paint job was flawless...it looked "as new" which is what anyone should be able to expect.

The second time I drove the Camira home only to find the auto shifting was playing up badly. I called the RACV and the nice mechanic told me to refill the tranny with new Dexron tranny fluid. Problem solved. Getting the panel beater to admit to overlooking this simple check was a nightmare!

I know panel beaters have a hard job and have difficult customers at times but, honestly, if you are in the trade your first rule of business should be like the doctor's Hippocratic Oath which states: "First do no harm."

Last-Rites

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 202 Auto NOS Rat Rod Wagon
Any updates?

Rule of thumb is always to return the panel to factory look. Too much peel is too much but if looks like the rest of the car it's satisfactory. Comes down to the insurance company too... they are all stooges!

Bradssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv nissan navara
Reasons for orange peel.
1. Scotchying and painting over already peely paint
2.paint is too thick
3. The painter is a potato spraying with the air pressure too low.
And who the **** would use acrylic clear in a shop like that. Dont get me wrong its good for a quick tidy up shed job but Where in 2017 not 1987 that **** is outdated. Answer to your question yes, hes filling your ear with verbal diahorrea. They also must have a lazy detailer who couldnt be fucked that day rubbing out some painters **** job