Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diff conversion

vkhawkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk commodore
ive got a noisey diff in my v8 vk. iv read that all vl's have a borgwarner diff, of which some are 4 pinion. i was wondering on what models the 4 pinion diff was on. are they on 6s or just 8s. thanks

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
The 4 pinion diffs were fitted to turbo and V8 models

vkhawkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk commodore
what ratios are they? turbo 3.45 and v8 3.08? thanks

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Yep. turbo 3:45 and V8 3:08. There should be an ID tag on the left side of the back cover with the ratio on it as well as the part number and serial number.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
if you have a early VK with the salisbury diff then you will also need the rear half of the driveshaft from the VL as they mount the driveshaft to diff using a flange arrangement, on the earlier salisbury the uni's bolt staight to the diff yoke using U bolts

gruntavt

HSV-I Don't want one ;-)
Reaction score
Members Ride
vess-luckily
Get a tailshaft from a late 85 Borgwarner diff VK EFI six,uses the same size universals as a V8,as mentioned,use the front half of your V8 tailshaft and then the back half of the EFI BW tailshaft,this will give the correct length. The Borg warner diff is also 15 mm wider (7.5 mm either side),then use an adjustable panhard rod to centre your diff.This is what I have used in mine just in the past month.