Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff gears! 3.7's or 3.9's?

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
hhhmm interesting that its 3.08 for a manual... at least you have got a set now lol

Hothousevys

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s pack
hey mate just wondering where you managed to get your diff gears from. i am chasing a set but am having trouble tracking some down. how much are you looking at to get them installed

M01ST

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF SSV Redline, 02 VU SS Ute
I just go a diff out of a r8 clubby apparently 3.7s from factory?? Vy sv8 had 3.08 goes a lot better with 3.7s.

VY Rossi

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY SS 5.7L M6
Thats correct they are 3.7 from the factory

M01ST

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF SSV Redline, 02 VU SS Ute
Just ring around well known wreckers and try find a hsv diff

PedroWilsoni

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SS Commodore
I run a VY SS series 1 auto with factory diff and just had an OTR Induction system fitted, MAF-less tune, gear-shift re-map and dyno tune, total $1400. It now pulls 461hp at the flywheel and compared to the previous dyno (plus driving it) now has bucket loads of power in the lower range. The lower range gutlessness was a real issue, but is now history. It is zippy and responsive as!

The next thing on the list for me are valve springs and diff, but if you don't already have an OTR Induction system and a MAF-less tune, etc you really should invest, it will give you a massive power increase.

B1n0ry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
That being said ... If I went 3.9's or 4.11s would I lose alot of power mid-high revs?
Meaning quick take off, but gutless up high? Still liking the idea of 3.7s, seems like a good mediocre

No-one seemed to address this question of yours. The diff in no way affects what power the engine makes at certain RPMs. All it changes is what RPM the engine does at a certain road speed (for a given gear).
You have established that you have 3.08 at the moment. Drive at a constant speed in top gear, like 100 or 110kph and note what RPM the engine sits at. It is easy to calculate what RPM the engine will sit at with the new diff, just divide the RPM by 3.08, then multiply by 3.73, or 3.91, or whatever value you happen to be looking at.
For example, say you notice that 100kph in top gear is turning the engine at 1700RPM. with a 3.91 diff, this will become 1700/3.08*3.91, which is 2158.
Then you just have to consider whether the extra fuel usage and noise is worth the trade-off of the increased get-up off the line.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
Manual s packs are standard with a 3.08 diff. If the LSD option was purchased when new then it will have 3.46 gears I believe

I have a 3.08 diff too, takes so long for first to get going lol but second and third just power on!!

vysute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 Utility 2004
I've got 3.9's in my SS, i tend to drag the gears a bit tho, 240kms to the tank at best city driving, 400 highway, thats babying it. but in saying that i do enjoy the 3.9's down low and wouldn't change them down. I do notice a lack of power up around 80kms-100kms on the freeway the pickup in 5th is quite lacking.