Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff gears....

calvv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais V v8
Ok cheers guys, Going to leave it stock as later on i plan to install twin turbo OR a blower...For now will just drive it like its stolen..:cool:

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Well now that has just thrown a spanner in the works.....:-/

Maybe i need to wait a bit and gather every single bit of info on this...0 to 100 would surely be quicker with 3:45 LSD set up than standard 2:92....Surely.....

In regards to the shift times ive had all the gear changes sharpened up big time from standard...

Im no expert but i know a gearchange takes longer then the 0.2 of a sec that you would gain with the shorter diff gears. Your 1/4 mile time may be 0.2 of a second quicker but how often do you accelerate to 160kph+ on the street?? Even with the gearbox tuned the 6 speed auto is not DSG quick, well not in the VE anyway. Diff gears worked great in the old 4 speed boxes due to the long first gear but the 6 speed box is actually geared pretty nicely. Much better places to spend your money if you want better performance.

Last edited:

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
When i had tune/exhuast/intake and a friend had basicly the same in his ve, we were pretty much even with the slight advantage going to who ever nailed it first.
then i fit a 4.11:1 diff ratio and blew him away every time with ease.
first gear is tricky to control wheel spin but if you have good throttle control, its hardly a problem.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
When i had tune/exhuast/intake and a friend had basicly the same in his ve, we were pretty much even with the slight advantage going to who ever nailed it first.
first gear is tricky to control wheel spin but if you have good throttle control, its hardly a problem.

Is this to 100kph or 1/4 mile?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl

Totally different kettle of fish, it's a row boat (manual).

OP in summary if you are looking for actual performance 0-100, need to make a point at lights or straight line over the 1/4 then stock is better for stock engine.

However if you like to rev your engine and you have high RPM mods to take advantage of that (see below) then the in-gear effect of lower diff gears is noticeable because of the torque boost of around 17%.

With a stock cam and bolt-ons with a 3.27, in third gear that is enough take you from highway speed to 160kph in 4.3secs! Ultimately lower gears are a torque multiplier that can pull the car to higher speed in first overdrive (5th gear). Whereas with stock diff the top two overdrive gears limit vehicle speed to just over 260kph.

Short gears help bridge the gap with naturally aspirated mods aimed at top end to get there sooner, and multiplies torque as above. See the two G8s with 3.27 below, how in-gear can feel quite dramatic, like FI, past 110kph:

3.27 + Cam + PWTB
[video=youtube_share;vgBMRwlsoVg]http://youtu.be/vgBMRwlsoVg[/video]

3.27 + Cam + Nitrous
[video=youtube_share;MtvQobUVHgk]http://youtu.be/MtvQobUVHgk[/video]

calvv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais V v8

That would of been off the chains on take off....

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Totally different kettle of fish, it's a row boat (manual).

OP in summary if you are looking for actual performance 0-100, need to make a point at lights or straight line over the 1/4 then stock is better for stock engine.

However if you like to rev your engine and you have high RPM mods to take advantage of that (see below) then the in-gear effect of lower diff gears is noticeable because of the torque boost of around 17%.

With a stock cam and bolt-ons with a 3.27, in third gear that is enough take you from highway speed to 160kph in 4.3secs! Ultimately lower gears are a torque multiplier that can pull the car to higher speed in first overdrive (5th gear). Whereas with stock diff the top two overdrive gears limit vehicle speed to just over 260kph.

Short gears help bridge the gap with naturally aspirated mods aimed at top end to get there sooner, and multiplies torque as above. See the two G8s with 3.27 below, how in-gear can feel quite dramatic, like FI, past 110kph:

3.27 + Cam + PWTB
[video=youtube_share;vgBMRwlsoVg]http://youtu.be/vgBMRwlsoVg[/video]

3.27 + Cam + Nitrous
[video=youtube_share;MtvQobUVHgk]http://youtu.be/MtvQobUVHgk[/video]

That second vid was fracking awesome!!!

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Ok cheers guys, Going to leave it stock as later on i plan to install twin turbo OR a blower...For now will just drive it like its stolen..:cool:
if u are going to do turbo or blower later i wouldnt bother doing gears now, i was going to do diff gears but since fitting the blower they would have only made trying to get traction even worse and im glad i kept the standard ratio...

calvv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais V v8
Yep i agree 07GTS, but i had to ask the question to know the guts of it and what others opinions were, After all thats what forums are all about...:beer chug:

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Both and everything in between.
Turbo or blower I would go the other way with the gears but otherwise 4.1's all the way.

Im still eagerly waiting to hear about and hopefully see your beast pirate.