Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff Gears ???

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Are 3.9 gears good off the line

Yep. There basically the limit when still trying to keep some economy. Unless you have a T56, then you could get away with 4.11s and still have good economy.

VS5lTR

MTX KID
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Is there much of a difference between 3.9 and 411s

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi

<3 my ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG 5sp V8
My Vg ute (5spd) has 3.9 gears in it. Quick on the takeoff and all through the gears, Revs at about 2500 on the highway but i dont do much highway driving. Although its got a getrag gearbox not a T5. Hope that helps :)

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
I put some 3.9s recently with a minispool in my stateo and i love it. big difference from the 3.08 ratio.

was that in ur wh or ur vr?

captaincruncher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Stall Converter

If you never get outside the city much or mostly drive at 80km/h or under go for the 3.7s. If you get out on the highway fairly often go with the 3.45s or even keep the 3.08s. A lock up stall converter is one that retains it's ability to lock solid at a certain speed (normally about 85km/h) You definatly want one of those to keep good fuel ecconomy. Your engine should be comming on its power curve at between 2900-3200 rpm so if you can find a 3000 rpm lock up stall with 3.45s would be probably what I would get with your setup but on a full power launch there may not be much in the way of traction on the street. 3.7s or above is starting to compramise what you can do with the car and a street car really should be able to do everything well, if you decide on the spur of the moment to drive around the country and cruise on >10l/100 well you should be able to do that. The lock up stall at 3000 has no disadvantage so go with that for sure

Hi,

I've got a Holden Vr V6

4:11 Diff/mini spoool
rebuilt trans
extractors
exhaust
v8 throttle body
dyno tune

I want to drive it for burnouts and drag racing,

What would be a good stall converter for my car?

looking to do a supercharger or turbo later,

Thanks,

Julian