Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff leaking from left driveshaft

treyflip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
So I found my only 6 month old reconditioned diff with 3.46 gears has a leak and I was certain it was caused by the seal on the left driveshaft. I had the seal replaced by a close mate with a mechanic shop and it was fine for a day, then it began to leak again.
I rang the diff place who initially swapped the diffs for me and the bloke still thinks its the seal seated on an angle. Meaning the original seal and the new seals both leaked.

I rang the diff place last week and he said he would call me in a weeks time to organize for me to come in, but of course he didn't, and it seems as though they never answer their shop phone.

Can anybody think of any other reasons the diff may be leaking? Can it be caused by something other than the seal?

Cheers.

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
Having two different brand of tyres with different wear on there was the issue with my seals leaking. From kmnow on with lsd's I replace both rears the same time with same brad tyres. Just to keep both wheels rolling diameter the same and keep the LSD diff happy.

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
Lowered cars (beyond 30mm generally) change the angle the driveshafts sit. This can "pull" down on the seals and create a leak.
Did a left axle seal in a VE clubsport with super lows in it recently...

treyflip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Cheers for the response guys.

Both sound more like what i thinks happening. What a headache. Brand new seal and leaks again!

I recently swapped my front tyres to the back as the rear were wearing down a bit, I didnt think that could do anything to the diff but.

Im leaning towards the driveshafts being on an angle. I have super super lows in the front, and a touch lower in the back. Tyre tucks about 1 cm in the rear when driving. (18inch wheels)

Think a camber kit would help straighten the driveshafts out?

kahlnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV A6
I had the same issue on an SSV, worst thing is when I went to get it replaced the driveshaft was jammed in the diff due to some loose metal (probably bits of the LSD) that had gouged out the shaft and created a lip, locking it in!! $1,200 later it's back together with 2 new axle seals and a dodgey damaged shaft! still don't know exactly where loose metal came from or what happened but it seems to go fine for now! Experts I've spoken to reckon the most common cause of this would likely be axle tramp which I had real bad a few weeks ago, just before it started leaking! Both Holden and my performance tuner don't believe the SuperLow springs caused it. moral of the story... if the wheels spin keep them spinning, easing off the power and hopping/tramping the axles ain't good at all.