Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff oil myth

muzz2005vzute

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz commodore ute
Ok my mate has a vx commodore v6. It was only spinning one wheel in a burnout. He was told by someone to put thicker oil in the diff and it will spin doubles. I didn't believe him but we tried it anyway and surprisingly enough it actually worked. Is this just somthing that could of happened because it had fresh oil put in or would thicker oil actually do this?

XioiX1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 V8 Adventra
never heard of that before..... welding yes, oil don't think so, would have to be a number of other issues for that to work (as in the diff is on the way out). I could very well be wrong though.

petern64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6lt , 2017 Mustang GT , 2021 BT50 SP
when the sun gears & the planet gears are aligned it can produce an LSD affect, very rare occurrence !

muzz2005vzute

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz commodore ute
How do they align? Can you dumb that down a bit, I'm still learning haha

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Hmmm if it works and it's not an LSD then I can only guess the thicker oil hampers the sun and planetary gears which would be generating a **** load of heat during the burn out.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If both tyres pose the same resistance as one another, both will spin during a burnout. Only when the resistance is measurably less for one wheel, that one will spin and the other will stay still. I think it has more to do with the surface you're driving on, and whether you have the front wheels straight and how level the surface is.

muzz2005vzute

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz commodore ute
Yeah I agree because I have a vz ute with a non lsd diff and it will do doubles when I'm sitting in flat ground but only for a little bit then will go into a single

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
I know I'm probably saying what everybody know but: The torque (twist) of the motor lessens the weight/resistance on the RH rear tyre, in a way, lifting it, that's why your open diff usually spins the right hand side. Also why the left hand front lifts slightly higher on hard take off (easily evidenced by big power cars launching at the drags).

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
thicker oil will make the spider gears harder to turn and could quite possibly make the diff twin more but will suck a fair amount of extra hp out the engine and lower economy