Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diff oil????????

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 6l auto 239cam 3.9diff
the bloke from harts told me to use penrite 140 lsd oil he swears by it

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
I just bought a Castrol LSD diff oil from Supercheap that says it won't need the additive for the LSD. Is this true? Or should I still put in the additive?

That is true. The Castrol SAF-XA already has the additive added in the oil required for LSD's. Don't add extra. Mobil equivalent on the other hand needs additive added if you have LSD. I believe the additive is called Sturaco 7098.

Link below;

CASTROL SAF-XA;
http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/6180_safxa_b1769_04.pdf

twalt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS COMMODORE
Cant go wrong with Castrol SAF mate. Never had a problem with it

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
I can understand some confusion concerning correct lubricants used in VZ differentials.

The first attachment from the VZ manual states that using synthetic lubricant in a non LSD 3.08 ratio differential may cause seal deterioration and lubricant leakage. The next attachment 2 pages later has a note that then recommends to use synthetic lubricant in a non LSD 3.08 ratio differential, when extended heavy towing or towing between 1600 - 2100kgs over 80km/h is carried out.

No wonder people are not sure what lubricants to use, when even Holden has contrary information.

Attachments

• VZ differential lubrication warning.jpg
    VZ differential lubrication warning.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 396
  • VZ differential recommended lubricant.jpg
    VZ differential recommended lubricant.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 765

calay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
I dropped the old diff oil in my calais today and I'm glad I did... It was so incredibly filthy and gross - it actually looked and smelt like a sloppy ****... The car's done 135000km and did some towing and dirt road driving previous to me getting it.

So yeah, I recommend changing it a little more regularly than never... maybe every 75000km (the car actually feels a little smoother now too, and the slight clunk that was present is now gone)