Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff on Ground

AdamAnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Hi,
I have a problem.
I have Super Low springs in my VY2 SV8.
When I have even just one person in the back and a go over a small-medium bump in the motorway (crappy NZ roads) the back drops down as you would expect after the bump after which there is a loud bang when the diff hits the ground.
When the back of the car is full, it does it on small bumps at 50ks...
My question is can the diff be raised or have some guard installed or does the car need to be raised???
Thanks
Adam Ant

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
if the diff hits the ground then you must have no springs in the back at all cos it should be sitting on bumpstops... so id be checking if they are still connected to the chassis before anything

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
if the diff hits the ground then you must have no springs in the back at all cos it should be sitting on bumpstops... so id be checking if they are still connected to the chassis before anything

Close.... If the diff hits the ground then the wheels must have fallen off and the solution should be self evident :thumbsup:

Reaper

AdamAnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
nah, definately not hitting bumpstops and the springs are definately in, i dont think they are captive at full extenstion though, if you say it cant be the diff then what else could it be because it definately sounds like it and the bottom of the diff houing has some large scrape marks along the bottom
thanks
adamant

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
it would be the bumpstops hitting... the diff would have scrapes from wogcrawling over speedbumps cos when you go on angles it drops the diff down when the first wheel is on level ground

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Exhaust, subframes, anything else under there..... Look for the bit with the dent.

Reaper

AdamAnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
oh really, would that also make the huge loud noise???
also another problem which may or may not be related, when giving it some boot around corners i heard no huge noises but apparently there were sparks coming out the back of the car...

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
that might be the exhaust

i suggest you raise your car up and use higher load rated springs so it doesnt bog down when you give it some boot

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
dosnt the exhaust on the vy's loop over the rear suspenion and the drive shafts, theres some pretty close parts there so i would check out if the exhaust has been hitting with the suspension

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Can you post a pic of this car? Sounds very low to me.

Reaper