Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff Pinion Nut

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My gun rattled off my ZF pinion nut just as I was about to break out the CP air gun. The CP will snap a bolt depending on the thickness. Milwaukee will have no problems whipping it off.

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
I think air rattle guns are very dependent on the quality of the air compressor behind it. I used to use one when I had my first job wrecking cars and it could undo nearly anything probably because it had a massive industrial air compressor behind it.
For short bursts it's more about the pressure and air volume from the tank to the tool.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Ute
Cheers for the input everyone.

Satisfying repair and learnt a bit as well.It was my first attempt at a pinion seal.

Would definitely have been stuck without the input of those above,thanks again.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Ute
As an aside,does the breather cap just pull off?I had a fiddle with it as i am wanting to clean it up, but didnt want to force anything until i knew how it operated.Cheers.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
Unscrews with a 15mm deep socket. The cap is crimped over the nipple and inside there’s a little spring and rubber disc.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
My gun rattled off my ZF pinion nut just as I was about to break out the CP air gun. The CP will snap a bolt depending on the thickness. Milwaukee will have no problems whipping it off.

Actually, no. I lie. I did use it to rattle off the pinion nut on my old VN but I don't know if that is a fair comparison. That diff had been rebuilt about 10 years ago so that nut had been off but on the other hand it had a solid spacer instead of a collapsible spacer so there is a good chance that sucker was done up real tight. Fairly sure I used a stock shiny socket and I didn't die.....

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Ute
Hi All,

This diff still has a slight leak after replacing the seal.Before I open her up again would anyone know the size on a speedy sleeve for the Vs V6 ute diff pinion seal?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Did you grease the seal when you fitted it?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You need to grease the lip of the seal or it burns and causes a weep..