Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff Upgrade.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I am in the process of trying to decide what ratio to change to.
The research I've done all suggests that my factory gear ratio is 3.08 or 3.46, but I will eventually remove the rear cover plate on the diff to confirm next time I change the oil.
With the speed limit being reduced back to 130km/h up here, and with a planned move to N.S.W on the cards in the near future, where I noticed whilst on holiday recently that the speed limits in town are now 50km/h, I am tossing up whether to go with 3.7's or 3.9's.
I have even thought about maybe going with 4.11's as the 1 Tonner is only my weekender.

Last edited:

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
Yeah would have been a big difference going from the high speed 2:78 to 3:55 diff in the old Torana, those were the days :) Do you know Matt is it a big job swapping them out in the VF ? was not too big a deal in the old HQ and Torana.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Honestly don't know mate.
I haven't really had a lot to do with the VE in a hands on capacity.........except for a few services a couple years ago.
Haven't done anything on a VF at all either.
**** now that I think of it, I haven't even had a look at the interior of a VF in person yet :(

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I am in the process of trying to decide what ratio to change to.
The research I've done all suggests that my factory gear ratio is 3.08 or 3.46, but I will eventually remove the rear cover plate on the diff to confirm next time I change the oil.

Counting off the revolutions is the easiest way to check a gear ratio and you don’t have to open up the diff to do it.

Here’s a short video to show you how.

The ‘How To’ starts at the 1:15 mark.

This easy method has been around since Adam was a boy.

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
Honestly don't know mate.
I haven't really had a lot to do with the VE in a hands on capacity.........except for a few services a couple years ago.
Haven't done anything on a VF at all either.
**** now that I think of it, I haven't even had a look at the interior of a VF in person yet :([/QUOte

Haha yeah same I get a mechanic or someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to the cars plus I am too busy working, running a farm and all sorts of other **** tbh, I just want to jump in and drive it when time permits and occasionally I would like to do the test and tune nights here at the local track with out going full on but don't want to get smoked by old mate work in his xr 6 lol... Yeah the interior is quite nice on the VF I like it a lot, we have a LTZ Colorado as well and the interior on the VF is nicer than the LTZ imo.

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
Good vid Panhead, its all mathematics and science :)

mitchy_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Senator SV08
Counting off the revolutions is the easiest way to check a gear ratio and you don’t have to open up the diff to do it.

Here’s a short video to show you how.

The ‘How To’ starts at the 1:15 mark.

This easy method has been around since Adam was a boy.

there is also a sticker under the diff stating it's ratio.

obviously your way will be correct every time, but if it's a new car or you know the diff hasn't been touched, the sticker should be correct!

VE-Commodore-Diff-2000x1335.jpg

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
there is also a sticker under the diff stating it's ratio.

obviously your way will be correct every time, but if it's a new car or you know the diff hasn't been touched, the sticker should be correct!

Good photo of the tag.

I posted because I actually thought Tonner Matt was talking about confirming the ratio in his VZ One Tonner not a new car and to show him an easier option compared to opening the diff.

Even the oldies from the 60’s & 70’s usually had a metal info tag attached, sometimes to a hat bolt or sometimes to an oil plug or fixed to the housing and of course over time they’d disappear or ratios could have been changed or maybe you just wanted to confirm the tag was right.

I wonder how long the new style of tags will last with water, stones and road grime attacking them and when all is lost and confirmation is all you’re after than the revolution method is the quick easy way to do the job.

People who swap out diffs usually don’t take the time to change the info tag.

mitchy_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Senator SV08
true... i assumed we were talking about a VF, i didn't notice matt's car listed as a VZ.

i can confirm the tag on my 08 Senator is still clear as day (well... except for being covered in diff oil from a newly formed inspection hole :eek:)

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
So how are you getting 320rwkw? Camshaft upgrade?