Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difference between a Vx ss and Vx Clubby

davleigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS Commodore
Hi all,

Being that im new to the whole V8/ls1 etc, i just have a question.

what is the difference between the Vx ss commy and the Vx clubby performance wise?
what gives it the extra 35kw?

do they have a special tune? or difference in exhaust etc?

say its the exhaust, would it simply take me buying vx clubby exhaust to generate the same power?
i dont know if this makes sense, im kinda hoping someone will understand what i mean.

i feel kinda stupid asking. but im keen to learn more about the ls type engines and upgrades etc.
Im am being completely serious with these questions. i know i might cop some flack for it, but like i said, i know nothing much about
ls engines, nor their upgrades and capabilities.
thanks all.

Richie217

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 R8 Clubsport
Tune, exhaust and I think the intake may be different. The engine is identical in each. The SS comes with a dual 2" from factory, the Clubsport come with a Dual 2.25".

With all the usual mods done (mafless tune, 2.5" exhaust, OTR etc) they make the same power.

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
Tune, exhaust and I think the intake may be different. The engine is identical in each. The SS comes with a dual 2" from factory, the Clubsport come with a Dual 2.25".

With all the usual mods done (mafless tune, 2.5" exhaust, OTR etc) they make the same power.

No point putting a clubby exhaust on the ss, cause its pointless, may aswell go twin 2.5inch, like Richie said they are the same just little things from factory, both modded the same they will have roughly the same power, i know the hsv has a different intake, but thats about all i know

davleigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS Commodore
ah sweet..
im kinda confused as to what exhaust i have though.
i have found a receipt from the previous owner.

it says something bout 2.5in, but seems awefully cheap even for a cat back :s
hmmm.. ill go find it and tell you exactly what is says..
might take a pic and upload it even might be easier.

davleigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS Commodore
No point putting a clubby exhaust on the ss, cause its pointless, may aswell go twin 2.5inch, like Richie said they are the same just little things from factory, both modded the same they will have roughly the same power, i know the hsv has a different intake, but thats about all i know

what is the differnce in the intake? oh, i wouldnt buy a clubby exhaust, i was just simply using it as an example.
also they have different diff gears dont they? are mine 3.4 and clubby 3.7? how much would this improve the car?

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
The difference isnt much, just the way hsv made there intake wa a little different which gave a little more power, the diff gears would improve your gear ratio of course, making your gears closer together, put your revs when your doing 100k's up, but its not alot to worry about

davleigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS Commodore
oh ok.. cheers. it was always something that i wanted to know.
i knew they were the same block, but never knew the extent of the changes in the Hsv.
So really, you could spend less money on actually buying the ss and doing minimal upgrade, which wouldnt cost over a few grand, your car would be quicker the the Hsv equivalent which your paying 20k more for?

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Well when I bought my VY clubsport coming from a VY SS, I noticed a massive difference power wise, low down torque and even the handling.

The suspension was much firmer and felt completely different to the SS, it was so smooth and not as bumpy as the SS. Power at a stock Clubby was pretty much the same once I did an OTR, mafless and exhaust on the SS.

So my conclusion is yes I noticed a huge difference. Plus with HSV there is few extra goodies inside and out, as seats, brakes, bodykit etc....but not sure if you worry too much about that.

davleigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS Commodore
i wouldnt mind going the bigger brakes on my car. but not red lol.. i think it would make it too much red on my car which im trying to steer clear of, maybe ill paint them black or something.. as far as seats go, im pretty happy with mine atm, but whos to say that wont change. Bodykits, ive never really been keen on putting a bodykit on something if it didnt come out with one.. i think it kinda falsifies the car a little bit, eg putting a clubby kit on something that aint a clubby. or later model kits on earlier model cars. admittedly some do look good, but others look sh!t.
I been looking for Clubby diff gears though, i dont really wanna go anything more then those as far as diff gears are concerned.

Would a growler kit be the same or better then a standard clubby air intake? cant afford a OTRCAI with the tune atm so looking for an alternative

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Well my vx ss with the usual mods (OTR,full zorst an mafless tune) eats my mates stock vy clubby. But I would still rather have a hsv badge. :(