Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Different shades

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Hi all,

Got a yellow Monaro and have never been pleased with the paint, mainly because it has 2-3 different shades. I ordered some touch up paint and it's darker than the body but matches the door handles and I've noticed the boot is slightly darker than the rest of the car as well. I had a bonnet sent out to paint and that too is darker than the body, not very noticeable in the sunlight but very noticeable at night with lights around.

The paint can't be faded since it's spent most of it's life under some sort of cover and my dad bought touch up paint over a decade ago and that didn't match up to the body back then either so what's the go with that?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
it's been resprayed at some point. also the flat colours like teh yellow and red are incredibly hard to match exactly which is why they are always blended into the surrounding panels as you'll never get an exact match from car to car.

someone with a paint depth gauge can probably tell which panels.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Nope, never been resprayed. Car has stayed within the family since 2003 and was covered and put away into a shed for almost half of it's life.

I'm going to get it resprayed at some point though.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
maybe some of the panels were resprayed before delivery then, you said it's always had different shades.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Holden always had issues with paint, mainly bumpers and door handles as these where painted separate from the car and at a different location....
Your car may have been sent back to rework due to an oops in the holding yard...Ive also seen stock cars that had been sitting so long that grass had grown up through the engine bay :D

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Mainly age related.
The bumpers on my Quicksilver Monaro used to match, but now they are a different shade to the panels. My drivers door had to be resprayed after a car park incident, and that can't be seen against the other panels.
All the paint came off the door handles of my VZ, but the rest of the car is OK, ( apart from the clear coat coming off the plastic panels around the back window)