Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Different size tire

Keegzzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
Wasn't sure where to ask this but anywho. Got my new sv6 vf about a month ago and unfortunately whilst dodging an incompetent driver I nicked the gutter and scratched one wheel. 2 questions, what price range should I be looking at for a good repair job. Also will I incur problems if I drive around for a few days on an 18' spare wheel (current wheels are 20s)
For whatever reason Holden didn't supply me with a 5th wheel which I purchased through them and gave me the stock spare.. Just curious with that though.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Did you explicitly order 5 20" wheels, and it's in your contract? They probably stuffed up, I explicitly had in our contract that we would have 5x 2015 Redline wheels, but luckily thought to check the spare wheel-well & the nasty chrome 2014 wheel was still there ... it was just a mistake, as the request was a bit out of the ordinary. I doubt they'd have any problem with supplying the correct wheel.

As to your question, if the overall tyre diameter matches what you've got, then you should be fine; although note that Holden specifies a maximum speed of 80km/h when doing the same with a Redline (ie. the spare is the size of the front wheel, so if you have to use it at the rear, the spare's width is different to standard).

I paid around $160 for the front scratch repair, needed a little bit of filling but not much, and the wheels are the standard MY15/MY16 Redline semi-gloss black.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
shop around I paid $90 per rim when I got mine repaired (I got a spray painter not a tyre repair guy so that might be the difference).

So they removed the rims, the tyres, repair, resprayed, baked and refitted for that - not a rush job.

Keegzzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
I bought the sv6 blackpack and I was told when I asked about the spare that from factory with this model you only got 4 and the stock spare, to buy the 5th it was going to be an extra 1k..

I'll have to size them up this afternoon and see. I got 3 quotes, one of which being the most expensive would be sent away to be repaired. then there was $160 and $100. However The $100 quote he was going to leave the wheel on and do the repair which I wasn't happy with in case of overspray and not being able to access the whole damaged area. So it seems the $160 is the way to go, he told me the whole process in which the wheel was removed etc.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
most important thing is a quality job.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I bought the sv6 blackpack and I was told when I asked about the spare that from factory with this model you only got 4 and the stock spare, to buy the 5th it was going to be an extra 1k..

I'll have to size them up this afternoon and see. I got 3 quotes, one of which being the most expensive would be sent away to be repaired. then there was $160 and $100. However The $100 quote he was going to leave the wheel on and do the repair which I wasn't happy with in case of overspray and not being able to access the whole damaged area. So it seems the $160 is the way to go, he told me the whole process in which the wheel was removed etc.

Question!!

How do they repair a damaged edge on a rim that say scrapped a gutter? Do they fill it with filler and then rub it back then paint and bake it.
Geee I would be stuffed with my Polished Redline rims then as since they are polished there would not be much you could do with that not unless someone knows something that I don't know. How do you fix a Polished Rim? Maybe I should have purchased a spare for $350

VF Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
I have the same, heartbreakingly had to dodge a driver and scraped a Redline wheel. Luckily it was the front so I've swapped for the spare... but I'd like to get mine fixed and looking for a high quality job.

I'm in Canberra and have heard really good things about Wicked Wheels in Queanbeyan... are there any other wheel repairers around here that have experience with the Redline black gloss wheels?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I don't know if they 'need experience' really, both guys who did ours (one on the front one week, one on the back 3 weeks later) seemed to be of the opinion it was a pretty standard colour & finish. Not much use to you, me being in Sydney, but I think any wheel-repair place will have no problem dealing with it.