Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difillipo 3 inch vs Walkinshaw catback

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The X pipe in the DPE is in the 2 joined resonators, I understand it’s essentially just a hole between the two.

Could you add a H pipe before the resonators and gain the Traditional H pipe pulse?
The X-pipe is before the resonators in the DPE. You'd need to make a cut through the middle of the X and weld a plate in there to block the hole off. Then you could weld an H-pipe after the resonators for the same effect.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
The X-pipe is before the resonators in the DPE. You'd need to make a cut through the middle of the X and weld a plate in there to block the hole off. Then you could weld an H-pipe after the resonators for the same effect.
What do you think it would sound like?

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
I worked with the Xforce Product design team to built their new exhaust for the Jeep SRT. I thought the system with the X pipe sounded ****, so we welded a plate in the position of the X pipe with a small hole to serve as a H pipe, and it sounded very mean.

Got me thinking about the DPE centre section that has a slightly crushed resonator. Might be time for some Frankenstein exhaust work

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I worked with the Xforce Product design team to built their new exhaust for the Jeep SRT. I thought the system with the X pipe sounded ****, so we welded a plate in the position of the X pipe with a small hole to serve as a H pipe, and it sounded very mean.
Yes, a proper X-pipe system with equal length engine pipes sounds like a single exhaust, little separation and high pitched on the top end like a V8 Supercar note. I believe the DPE X has only a small transfer hole to increase separation and create a more H-pipe note.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, a proper X-pipe system with equal length engine pipes sounds like a single exhaust, little separation and high pitched on the top end like a V8 Supercar note. I believe the DPE X has only a small transfer hole to increase separation and create a more H-pipe note.
So essentially it wouldn’t sound any better with a plate welded in with a hole as it sounds like that’s how it’s already set up?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
So essentially it wouldn’t sound any better with a plate welded in with a hole as it sounds like that’s how it’s already set up?
Depends on the size of the hole, but I believe it's about 1/2" and way too small to work as an X-pipe. You can block the hole completely for maximum separation and a traditional dual exhaust note.

Balance pipes H or X can increase scavenging in sophisticated header setups and make power but essentially on a road car exhaust, they control noise and change note and make no difference to power levels whatsoever. Restrictive X-pipes can cause a loss of power if they're not configured like this (below) and no aftermarket bolt on's I'm aware of configure X-pipes correctly.

XP_700x.jpg

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
The DPE system arrived today.

I need a hoist to get the mid section on as my stands are only little, but put the rear muffler on behind my exisiting walkinshaw 2.5 inch centre.

Note is deeper, and sounds far more complete through mid range and flat out. Looking forward to hearing difference with 3 inch mid section, and then after 1000kms to carbon up

Happydaze

Happydaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE T30
KPM 3” great deep note

Attachments

• 393E3CAF-729A-4E90-8952-DFF585EC979E.jpeg
    393E3CAF-729A-4E90-8952-DFF585EC979E.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 83

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
KPM 3” great deep note
got 2 3" KPM systems one on VE ute and one on a VF, x pipe welds cracked on the ve, otherwise great tough deep sound

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
I installed the front section of the 3 inch DPE this morning to match the rear mufflers.

Note is deeper than the walkinshaw, and sounds far better in mid and top end.

It doesn’t sound as aggressive yet, as the pipes and mufflers are brand new and will need to carbon up, and mufflers loosen up a little.

It does have some noticeable drone at 1000rpm, but i only noticed after i took it out and got it nice and hot to speed carbon up process. Hoping with some carbon on the pipes in 1000kms it will go away or lessen.

Worst case scenario i now have 4 different components to mix and match if the drone dosent improve. It sounded good with walkinshaw front end and 3 inch DPE mufflers