Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Digital Cameras below $300

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
My point exactly

I appreciate the point your making about the convenience of disposable batteries, but was thinking that a proper lithium battery, recharged each night when the opportunity would present itself, would last through the following day without problems, whereas AA's would need replacing at least once a day. If we didn't have some with us, the camera would be sitting in a bag, useless, until we stopped the next night. The battery to our Konika film camera carked it in the UK in 2000 and a replacement was 8 quid. At the time, the exchange rate was 37 pence to the dollar, so the bloody thing cost over $20, whereas it cost only 6 bucks out here. And that was for a generic camera battery, not a model specific one.

The other half has pretty much ****-canned the idea anyway - says our existing camera will do the job perfectly and she'd rather have the cash to spend over there.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Don't y'all think it's amazing how far we've come... it used to be a case of how much film/developing you could afford (or the raw materials to DIY), now with 2GB cards for less than $20 how many pictures we can take is determined by how much battery we have.

Camera's too - $200 back then would get you a crappy 2MP with a blurry low-res screen

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VC L, VK Vacationer
I appreciate the point your making about the convenience of disposable batteries, but was thinking that a proper lithium battery, recharged each night when the opportunity would present itself, would last through the following day without problems, whereas AA's would need replacing at least once a day. If we didn't have some with us, the camera would be sitting in a bag, useless, until we stopped the next night. The battery to our Konika film camera carked it in the UK in 2000 and a replacement was 8 quid. At the time, the exchange rate was 37 pence to the dollar, so the bloody thing cost over $20, whereas it cost only 6 bucks out here. And that was for a generic camera battery, not a model specific one.

The other half has pretty much ****-canned the idea anyway - says our existing camera will do the job perfectly and she'd rather have the cash to spend over there.

I do see your point, but a decent set of rechargeable AA batteries should last you the day even if you are going to hammer it. The price of anything over there doesn't surprise me. I lived in the Falkland Islands (overseas british territory) for a bit once, the exchange rate on the pound was similar. In the video store a vhs tape of the fast and the furious was 50 quid! Thats 120 bucks!
As for the 'other half' all I can say is keep your pimping hand strong!*

*I do not condone violence against women in any way.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Calaber,

I wouldn't upgrade solely for the "more megapixels" factor. 8 MP is plenty for decent 6x4" prints unless you crop them heavily.

Also these days its the ancillary qualities like lens quality, battery life, image processing/correction abilities, etc which make a good camera, far more than the number of megapixels it can capture.

When you have a candidate in mind, it may be worth searching to see if it produces images you're happy with. Flickr has a good feature where you can find pictures taken with a particular camera:
Flickr: Camera Finder

I'd also put up my hand for Digital Camera Warehouse. Good prices, good service:
Digital Camera Warehouse Australia - Discount Digital Cameras shipped Australia Wide - Home