Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

digital speedo

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
.... except that you lose the speed alert feature when Police mode is enabled....

James_yo7

Barbitaboopey?
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 LUX minitruck
so basicly you have it exactly the same with your fuel distance to empty, odometer and trip meter, and instead of your speed alert its just a digital speedo? and you can flick through them normally like before?
is that what your all talking about?

not the service mode where you change it completely and it brings up temps and the digital speedo?

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I could never understand why people think the digital readout is such a great feature when the speedo is about 5cm above it? Fuel consuption/trip meter much more useful IMO

policehoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EQUIPE
my VZ Equipe has the lot, digital speedo, speed alert, fuel consumption.

But its not a ex police vehicle, it was a company car...

Is this normal?

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Yes - the VZ has the digital speedo in the default configuration, across all models.

When "Police Mode" is enabled in VY models, the digital speedo and another oddball option (called "trap speed" or something - not quite sure what that does...) - are enabled. That's NOT the small digital speedo readout you can select in the extended trip options, the large font as in the VZs. It's also available on the trip options with a normal start-up too, instead of having to manually select the extended option menus. The enabling of this in the VY however does mean the speed alert function is no longer available. All other trip functions are unaffected as far as I know.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Did a "Police mode" config last weekend - VY SS - works great!

MFD defaults to digital speedo on start-up, all other tip functions are fine apart from overspeed as mentioned.

Oh, and "trap speed" works on police mode or not - whilst in digi speedo mode press the "Mode" button, and it simply "captures" the current digital speedo reading and displays it for 5 seconds or so - it can be recalled later or cleared using other button combos.

But in a nutshell, digital speedo for the VY works fine, and is fairly easy to get set up. :thumbsup:

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
just press mode and set while starting the car i have a vy lumina 02 works fine lol ill film it if i have to just cycle through menu and u will find it i can film it if someone wants. to be honest readout is small

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Yeh, exactly SAV - but this is the "service mode" - sometimes called "extended options" - this requires that you do the key combo every startup. Also the font is so small as to be ineffective in real driving conditions - requires too much concentration.

What we're on about is the activation of the large font digi speedo like the VZs all have as standard. It is do-able in the VY, but requires that "police mode" is enabled. This causes the loss of the speed alert function, but defaults to the large font digital speedo on start-up. WITHOUT having to hold down certain button combos and flick through several options before the one you want is displayed. It's a convenience thing really...

It's easy enough to do with the right tools - and by "tools" I don't necessarily mean spanners and screwdrivers, tools can be software based as well... ;)

(you can also find several "tools" on certain other unmentionable forums! :rofl:)

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
ahhh kk thanks myy bad :)

scottifa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
I just rang my local holden dealer. They didn't really know what I was on about, but for $138 they would give it a go. Of course I declined as I dont believe the feature is worth that much.