Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Directional Tyres, Are they better?

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Hey guys, I'm getting new tyres for my VYII under an insurance claim and have the option of directional or non-directional for the same price. I have to buy 2 of them as only two are under the claim. The mechanic said they're isn't much benefit with directional apart from water dispersion. I think the directional will look a bit better though. Is there a difference or is it just personal preference?

Replies ASAP please as my fitter needs to know today. Cheers

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
But they're more likely to have extra road noise.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Directional tyres have better handling performance.

The reason for this is because they have a set directional rotation, the tread can be engineered to be more efficient in that direction.

Non-directional tyres have a tread that has to work at the same efficiency in both rotational directions and therefore cannot be engineered to be as efficient.

Non directional tyres are usually put on non-performance and 4WD vehicles while directional tread tyres go on performance vehicles.

Eg, Hyandai accent comes with non-direcitonal tyres form factory while a HSV Clubsport comes with directional.

The main downside to directional tyres is that is that you cannot rotate them from side to side without having to take them off the rim.

Hope that helps a bit.

zapper-l67

LS# Eat One Today...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
^^^^^
Yep that's right
Zapp

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
HSV actually use asymmetrical tyres :)

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
A symmetric are the best of both worlds as far as I'm aware.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hey guys, I'm getting new tyres for my VYII under an insurance claim and have the option of directional or non-directional for the same price. I have to buy 2 of them as only two are under the claim. The mechanic said they're isn't much benefit with directional apart from water dispersion. I think the directional will look a bit better though. Is there a difference or is it just personal preference?

Replies ASAP please as my fitter needs to know today. Cheers

Its extremely hard to answer that question. Some brand and model numbers would make it a lot easier.

Cheap directional tyres will be worse than good asymmetrical tyres.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Apples with apples directionals are considered better for wet performance, and as far as I was aware asymmetrical are considered better again.

Obviously a non-directional potenza is better than a directional wanli.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
For normal average road use you probably won't notice much difference, except the directional and asymetrical tyres tend to have a bit more road noise.
My VX SS bought new came with asymetrical Bridgestone B530's they wore well but were a bit noisey, I went for a set of Toyo symmetrical tyres this time around,
couple of reasons, cheaper than the Bridgestones, still a quality Japanese tyre and being symetrical if the inner tyre wear starts to appear on the rear I will get them flipped on the rims to even the wear out. After the Bridgestone asymetrical tyres the Toyos are much much quieter and a slightly more comfortable ride, and I have not noticed any trade off in handling, though I don't drive the SS excessively hard.