Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dirty Throtle body

jake87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V6 S1
G'day i had a look at my throtle body on my vn v6 and an redish, gritty, dirty, oil substance was dripping out of the TB entrance. How Does it get there? Is it bad?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I'd say you have a bad gasket, and the carbon and oil buildup in there is starting to leak out. You have a PCV valve which vents crank case air into the induction system during cylinder blowby, and that's what gets rubbish like oil and grease into the manifold. This is probably leaking out through a broken gasket, and dust from the road is sticking to the oil, making it look red and gritty.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Probably not a bad idea to take the throttle body, pcv plumb-back hose, throttle elbow and stuff off, and give it all a good whack with carby cleaner. Stick some new gaskets on, and throw it all back together.

Not a bad idea to clean the IAC valve either :)

jake87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V6 S1
yeah the dip stick seal is loose so its always popping up a bit and i was reading that the PCV wont work properly unless all seals like that are tight so ill fix that asap, the gasket on the TB is fine. The oil was actually dripping out when i took the air cleaner pipe off, some in TB and heaps in the pipe bend itself. I might be hard to understand but you should get me.

skyper

SKYPER
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
how much blow by has the engine got ,sounds like alot ,is it blowing oil out the dip stick

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
How many kays has your car done? You should have a mechanic do a compression test some time :)

jake87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V6 S1
I pulled the pcv valve and cleaned it, (was dirty as a mofo.) and cleaned the throtle body. It runs heaps better. Ill check the TB after a bit of driving and hope its not oily.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Awesome :) It's good to keep these things clean once a year. :)