Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY acrylic spray job ?

ST8OOH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice
hey guys im going to respray my VQ in the original astriod silver but need a bit more info before i get right into it.
so far ive stripped everything off the car and rubbed all the shine off using 400 wet, and il be trying to prime it next week using du pont 131s.
im not 100% sure what to do after that i know il have to sand it and guide coat it but im not sure what grit to use would 800 be to corse ?
what would be the best method of spraying with acrylic ? do i need to sand between coats if so what grit.
once the clear goes on how do i go about cutting and polishing to get it to shine ?
thanks..

sm00th

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
rub the primer with 800 no need to sand the colour between coats unless there is dirt or any other imperfections if so sand them out with 1200. After its cleared rub it flat with 1500 then 2000 and buff to shine.

ST8OOH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice
rub the primer with 800 no need to sand the colour between coats unless there is dirt or any other imperfections if so sand them out with 1200. After its cleared rub it flat with 1500 then 2000 and buff to shine.

thanks for the reply makes sence so far another,bit im not understanding is the mixing ratios for the paint is says 1 to 1.5 or 2 ?
and the primer filler says 1:0.6-1:1.2 ?
other paint ive used was 1 to 1.5 easy to understand.
also with the buffing will a 9inch grider with a lambs wool polisher be ok also what type of cutting compound should i be looking at using ?

sm00th

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
Mix your colour and clear at 1 part paint to 1.5 parts thinners. For the last coat of clear you can mix it at 1 part clear to 2 parts thinners this will lay the clear down a bit flatter and make it easyer to cut and buff. Mix the primer at 1 part primer to .6 parst thinners for any filler repairs and 1part primer to 1.2 parts thinners for the rest. A grinder is no good for buffing it spins way to fast and will burn the paint you need a sander/polisher you can pick them up from bunnings or supercheap for about $90

ST8OOH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice
Mix your colour and clear at 1 part paint to 1.5 parts thinners. For the last coat of clear you can mix it at 1 part clear to 2 parts thinners this will lay the clear down a bit flatter and make it easyer to cut and buff. Mix the primer at 1 part primer to .6 parst thinners for any filler repairs and 1part primer to 1.2 parts thinners for the rest. A grinder is no good for buffing it spins way to fast and will burn the paint you need a sander/polisher you can pick them up from bunnings or supercheap for about $90

is it ok to mix all acrylic paint that way even if it says diffrently on the tin.on the silver i brought says 1.-1.5 or 2 is it just optional how far you want to thin it im not to sure what it says on the clear.
with the primer how do i measure out 1-.6 ? none of my cups or sticks have that ratio.

sm00th

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
the ratios on your label are the min and max recomended thinning ratios so as long as you dont go outside of them you will be fine. As for the primer to get a 1 to .6 ratio mix it at 2 to 1 and add aprox 10% more thinners should have you verry close to 1 to .6

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
sorry but why are u prming it if ur doing it in the same color..
i mean i resprayed my vk, the only spots i primed were the parts that were bare metal or bogged...

sm00th

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
To seal off the original paint. The primer gives you a uniform base for the top coats and makes for a much nicer job

ST8OOH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice
the ratios on your label are the min and max recomended thinning ratios so as long as you dont go outside of them you will be fine. As for the primer to get a 1 to .6 ratio mix it at 2 to 1 and add aprox 10% more thinners should have you verry close to 1 to .6

sorry to bring this back up but do you mean 1.5 then add 10% ? whats a good cutting compound to use or are they all pretty much the same thing ?...thanks

sm00th

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
Nah 2:1 = 1:0.5 add 10% thinners will get you to 1:0.6 For Acrylic just make sure its a coarse cut compound the septone cutting compound from supercheap is what your after