Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY Carbon Clean

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
Just in case anyone is searching and comes across this thread, the problem ended up being the coils. Picked up a set from eBay for $200ish and installed myself- running sweet now!!

Apparently the coils have been known to fail in vz's so if you're having a similar issue it would be a good thing to check

paroharo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom Director
Cheers matt, I've got exactly the same problem, except mine also idles like a pro streeter.
The dealer already slugged me $120 to change the plugs saying this had fixed it so I'm a bit wary of taking it back.
I'll have to give the coils a go.

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
no worries mate - just out of interest, how many K's has your VZ done? Mine started failing at around 120k.

If you want any advice on installing them just let me know as I basically started with zero knowledge but got it sorted in the end.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Any hints for using a carbon cleaner on an LS1?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Cheaper, safer and more efficient just to put a couple of tanks of Premium Unleaded through to clean things up. Works for me.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
The brake booster hose is an easy one to try... let me know how it goes with an ls1 as it didn't seem to do much for the alloytec

paroharo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom Director
guys,
I just got quoted $168ea for genuine coils and $66ea for aftermarket..
I know matt you got em for $200 a set..
My mechanic mate plugged in a 'scan tool' and there are no trouble codes showing.. no indication of the misfire, but it was just doing it the worst it's ever done as I was leaving work (maybe cos A/C on?)
andyman, I had an idea you're a Holden mechanic, do you know if a misfire will show up on a scan tool for an 05 VZ Alloytec 175?
I thought about buying one coil and replacing each one in turn until the misfire goes away but it's a lot of mucking about each time - manifold off etc.
The car's just done 78,000k's and as I said the plugs were already replaced to supposedly fix it.. :bang:

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
guys,
I just got quoted $168ea for genuine coils and $66ea for aftermarket..
I know matt you got em for $200 a set..
My mechanic mate plugged in a 'scan tool' and there are no trouble codes showing.. no indication of the misfire, but it was just doing it the worst it's ever done as I was leaving work (maybe cos A/C on?)
andyman, I had an idea you're a Holden mechanic, do you know if a misfire will show up on a scan tool for an 05 VZ Alloytec 175?
I thought about buying one coil and replacing each one in turn until the misfire goes away but it's a lot of mucking about each time - manifold off etc.
The car's just done 78,000k's and as I said the plugs were already replaced to supposedly fix it.. :bang:

hey mate, nah im not a holden mechanic, although i deal with fleet so i work on lots of commodores falcons etc etc,

easiest way to find out would be to find a auto electrician that has a dfi module tester, the tester is a probe that is sat across the top of the coil, its an inductive pick up that picks up the pulses the coil make when they fire etc.

if they run the tester across them, you will be able to see which one is weak or not firing,

is the car missing all the time? or just under load?

S.O.S

White chicks on hey hey!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
One for the ecotec boys. Just done one today.

Look at the state of this, just over 150,000km. Went to bursons bought the can, took the top off sprayed it like i had 10 litres to waste. Took many turns to actually start, but once running blew plenty of **** out the exhaust. Held the revs at about 2000rpm for 30 seconds stopped.
Rest the car for 5 min. Started it up took it for a 30min drive with incremental bursts of acceleration.

Now what i noticed was part throttle was smooth and responsive, idle was smooth and it was a touch quieter by the time i got back. Also i dropped .4l/100 in economy without driving economically. @ $13.50 worth every cent, and now will be standard with my oil change and other services.

Attachments

• P1156_22-10-09.JPG
    P1156_22-10-09.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 2,686
  • P1157_22-10-09.JPG
    P1157_22-10-09.JPG
    283 KB · Views: 890