Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diy heads porting and polishing

Beauzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy spack v6
How hard is it to port, polish, match and face heads yourself?

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown
Unless you got the right gear and know what your doing there's a lot of chance for things to go wrong. Not saying someone couldn't do it successfuly but id rather pay someone to do it.

Beauzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy spack v6
If i were to do that to the super6 heads, this will give me more mid range to top power than low down,
Is this right?

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
I did my heads using a Standard Abrasives porting kit, a Super **** die grinder and many many hours. You also pretty much need to get your valve seats re-cut afterwards to be safe.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Get some sand, take off everything attached to the throttle body so you can get unrestricted access to it, start the engne, rev to 6000rpm and feed the sand into the WOT.... :lmao: :poke:

Seriously, as already said unless you have the correct tools have practiced hand porting heads... it's going to be difficult and possibly stuff the heads up. Also head work should be in conjuction to other mods like a CAM and the head work should match which does take a bit of knowledge.

There are plenty of article on the web(Google is your friend) and if your really stuck on doing it yourself get yourself a pair of second hand heads from a wrecker and go nuts.... this way of you stuff them up you can always put your orinigal back on.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Unless you have a fair idea of what your doing a home port job is really just a good clean up with emphasis in minimal metal removal. For a stock cam'd engine you want to maintain a small port/runner to keep the airspeed up. if you hog out the port in one particular are it will loose a lot of airspeed causing all sorts of issues i.e. a loss of torque. Big ports/large cross section runners are only good for engines with big cams and lots of revs where low rpm performance and throttle response isn't required.

There are certainly gains to be had on a stockish type engine with pocket ported heads/cleaned up runners.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Its def a big job to do it properly. I did stacks of research on what to shape and where before i did mine, then had them faced etc and flow benched to double check how close they were.

I spent a lot of time doing it, and thats using all the proper tooling. Was a great experience though, and I got some fantastic gains on a cammed engine

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
If i were to do that to the super6 heads, this will give me more mid range to top power than low down,
Is this right?

Are you planning to put L67 heads onto an L36 with the stock L36 manifold, or are you installing the LIM and supercharger from a L67?