Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY kill switch

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
a couple of people have asked me how to do this so yeah... Its simply a magnetic kill switch. I.E you need a magnet to flick the button. There really good and i have numerous in my car. Just a bit of a pain if you need to get going in a hurry. Im not sure if i psted in the rite section here cause im a bit of a neewbie to just commos so yeah. well here we go

What you will need you can get most of these from an elec store like dick smith. (remember this is for one switch so if you wanna put in say 3 you need 3 times as much)

30amp automotive reay with wireing harness
470ohm resister
one silicon controlled rectifier rated at 400v and 4 amps (scr)
one normally open magnetic switch
one 50v 1 amp diode or simliar
some wire rated at about 2 amps
elec tape and heat shrink

Step 1

ok disconect battery casue if you dont youll prob end up hurting yourself and the car. Figure out what you wanna kill for this we will just say the coil.. Cut the positive wire form the coil somewhere that you can out the relay in. But make sure its not noticable cause if it is a thief will jsut cut this off and get to work... all your hard work gone down the drain.

Ok getting down to the wireing

Step 2 -

connect one of the white wiress from the relay to a sutable earth. Best bet is to use a pre established earth then its not as noticablle.

Step 3

connect the diode between the 2 white wires making sure the anode of the diode is on the ground side of contact. Connect the cathode of the diode to the other white wire. DOUBLE check you have this the rite way around or you could have big trouble...

Step 4

Get some wire and join it to the white wire which is going nowhere. Run this wire WELL hiden into the cabin and find a suitable place for where you would like to mount the switch.

Step 5

Solder this wire to the cathode of the SCR. Then get a piece of wire say 1 or 2 metres in length. You want it just long enough to reach were you want the switch. Then double that.. if you get what i mean. loop the wire around and solder one end to the gate of the SCR and the other to the anode of the SCR. Heat shink all these connections.

Step 6

run the double overed wire to where you want to put t he kill switch. Cut the wire at this point. Solder in the magnetic reed switch at this point and heat shrink over the entire thing. Then about 10 cms down the wire cut it and solder in the resistor. Also cover this with heat shrink....

Step 7

get a test light an find the on position on your ignition barrel. Splice into this wire a small piece of wire long enough to reach the SCR. Cover the join with tape and make it as neat at possilbe. Splice the other end of this wire into the anode of the SCR. Cover up this connection.

Step 8

Put the switch where ever you want it. then hide all your wiring accordinly. REMEMBER hide this wiring as best you can and make it look as stock as possible.

So thats about it... any questions dont ask lol cause yeah its quire cofussion