Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do different 4-1 header designs sound different?

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Ultimately they're a business and want repeatable good results so it seems they favour their copy paste transmission tune and also their engine tune that is tweaked a little from car to car.

Daves8 maybe try Castle Hill performance if they're willing to do a transmission tune tweak?

Otherwise yet another idea I just thought of is, when I had the Rapid marriage savers on I noticed drone at 1200 rpm also for whatever reason. I fixed that by adding a H pipe to the rear of my centre section after the tunnel brace, cost $180 from Rapid. Made it more quiet but killed drone.

Dunno if you feel like having your centre section customized though..
I a full Difillipo 3 inch. I had a H pipes of sorts as a part of the twin resonators in the middle, but no room for a proper H pipe

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I a full Difillipo 3 inch. I had a H pipes of sorts as a part of the twin resonators in the middle, but no room for a proper H pipe

So I had my H pipe added here looks to be a small amount of space... But you'd also be customizing probably the most expensive catback you can buy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230321-081958-559.png
    Screenshot_20230321-081958-559.png
    315.1 KB · Views: 88

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
So I had my H pipe added here looks to be a small amount of space... But you'd also be customizing probably the most expensive catback you can buy
You have a DPE too?

you had it added at the rear of the system after the Center resonators?

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
You have a DPE too?

you had it added at the rear of the system after the Center resonators?
No sorry stock system but this is the spot where it would need to go on the DPE system...

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
No sorry stock system but this is the spot where it would need to go on the DPE system...
Did you have another car back then? A Ss or a SSV?

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't follow sorry? Have a Calais V V8
There was a guy I met with once that had his car tuned by Oztrack, had marriage savers and had rapid exhaust fit a X or H pipe. This was like 5-6 years ago. Had an otherwise stock system.

Thought it may have been you, but definitely not a Calais V.

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
There was a guy I met with once that had his car tuned by Oztrack, had marriage savers and had rapid exhaust fit a X or H pipe. This was like 5-6 years ago. Had an otherwise stock system.

Thought it may have been you, but definitely not a Calais V.
Nah not me sorry although I think I recall reading that post which inspired me

Again, I love that drone on these cars is still being discussed

I don't think I have ever heard of another vehicle where drone was so much of a problem

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The one Difillippo mid pipe I've seen cut open, had a "kiss pipe" with a 1/2" blend hole, wasn't a proper X-pipe and is virtually full dual producing the V8 thump. Adding and H-pipe would quieten it and potentially reduce drone. Sometimes chasing a particular note and noise level that sounds great on the outside, can't be configured drone free and needs a compromise. The greater exhaust issue on the VE/VF platform, is the compulsion to use 3" exhausts with engine's that can't use and don't need such a big exhaust to make maximum horsepower.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
you've just described ozt in a nutshell
I remember years ago in the LS1 Edit days in VT, a tuner was charging $1000 for a custom tune, and someone videoed the process with a camera in another in the car park. The tuner came out with his laptop, banged a generic tune in and left a generic dyno sheet on the dash. The car didn't move from where the customer parked it. The result I think by memory, was the tuner given the option of no money and hand over the keys or a punch in the head. He took the former option and shut up shop a few weeks later!

• Sad
Reactions: Lex