Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do I need 2 fuel pumps?

thephilth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute
Hi everyone, I have done an engine swap on a VP ute from V6 to V8 and want to know whether I should run 2 high pressure pumps or stay with the one intank? I have noticed there is a damper near the external fuel pump on the donor car.Do I need this as well? Should I swap to low pressure pump intank and run the external like factory or is one high pressure intank gunna suffice?? Whats everyones thoughts? Thanks.

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS and VS Senator 215i
Hi everyone, I have done an engine swap on a VP ute from V6 to V8 and want to know whether I should run 2 high pressure pumps or stay with the one intank? I have noticed there is a damper near the external fuel pump on the donor car.Do I need this as well? Should I swap to low pressure pump intank and run the external like factory or is one high pressure intank gunna suffice?? Whats everyones thoughts? Thanks.

One in tank pump is plenty! If you are going to build a stroker that needs a bigger fuel system later.. A walbro 255gph intank pump is good upto about 550hp..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
on the V8's they use a low pressure internal pump and a high pressure external. the damper is to prevent the fuel hammering which i'm told could be heard in the cabin of the car when it got real bad.

you could fit the damper however the external pump probably isn't needed because the V6 models run a high pressure internal pump

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
VN and early VP V8 ran the low pressure intank and a high pressure external. Late VP up to VS ran a single high pressure intank.

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Is it possible to swap it over to a single pump set up from a VP or later to a VN? Im not sure on the connections for the return line, some are on the pump housing and some go back into the tank via a pipe to the left of the pump.

I would think its cheaper changing to a single pump then changing two over?

thephilth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute
OK Thanks all who replied, much appreciated.Going to run single at this stage and see how it all works out. Cheers!