Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do I Need a H/O Alternator?

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I've recently upgraded my system and am now running a 1100wrms Apline mono-block powering a 900wrms sub. I also run a basic 4ch amp (only 2ch work) powering my front 75wrms Apline splits.
I have ready for install another 500wrms sub to be hooked up to a 900wrms mono-block.

I've also installed a volt gauge and I've noticed that when I crank the system, bass heavy songs (hardstyle mostly) will drain the battery voltage down to about 11V - causing significant light dimming too.

Should I upgrade my alternator to combat this drain? I often arrive to where ever I'm going and leave the car with 11.5(ish) volts. I'm just a bit worried I'm going to go to start the car and it not have the juice to crank it over.

Obvious answer would be to turn down my system as I'm close to arrival to let the battery charge back up to 13+V but ideally I'd rather not have to.

Would upgrading to a 110-120A alternator help - or just getting a bigger battery altogether? I plan on upgrading to an Ultima D34 when my current battery conks out.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Upgrading your battery and doing "big3" will solve your voltage drop issues.